RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   How do you remove an Elevator that is Epoxied to a Torque Rod? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11618916-how-do-you-remove-elevator-epoxied-torque-rod.html)

gregoryshock 06-26-2015 11:50 AM

How do you remove an Elevator that is Epoxied to a Torque Rod?

Today I ran into a glue problem with my Robart Hinges. The ones I installed on my Corsair's Stab and Elevator control surface came loose. I did some online searching. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444200 I drilled some holes into the stab and fed some epoxy into the holes. At this point I don't know if what I'm doing is going to work yet. Next, I did some online searching, and so far I've been unable to find an answer to my question. On some airplanes, all you go to do is cut the Rudder off and then you can cut off your Elevator. But you can't do that on this plane, since the Elevator Torque Rod Assembly is apart of the Fuselage. What I am wondering is: Is there a good or better way of getting the Torque Rod out of the Elevator ? (It is Epoxied into the Elevator)

* I hope I don't haft to do this. But just in case I do, I want to know how some of you did something like this.

Top_Gunn 06-26-2015 01:18 PM

Heat will soften epoxy.

52larry52 06-26-2015 07:13 PM

Do you think you could "pin" the hinges like some do with flat and CA type hinges. Would that provide the extra holding power to be safe without completely removing and replacing the hinges? Just a thought.

gregoryshock 06-27-2015 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn (Post 12061710)
Heat will soften epoxy.

I thought about heating up the eqoxy. But how do you do that without burning everything else? There isn't any room in between the stab and elevator. This is one of the reasons I choose to use the Robart Hinges. Because the CA hinges, over time, go bad and then you got to remove the control surface to put in new ones.

gregoryshock 06-27-2015 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by 52larry52 (Post 12061855)
Do you think you could "pin" the hinges like some do with flat and CA type hinges. Would that provide the extra holding power to be safe without completely removing and replacing the hinges? Just a thought.

I drilled two holes (Vertical) along the hing points. (Both sides of stab) Then I packed some 30 minute epoxy into the holes. I think this created four vertical pins (per hing) made out of epoxy. I can't see how you could put an actual pin through them. The hing pin points are not that wide. I'm also hoping that the glue adhered the hinges to some other parts of the wood as well. I did this yesterday and after tugging on them, they seem solid today.

Gray Beard 06-27-2015 07:42 AM

I don't quite get it all, a photo would be of great help. Without trying to over think it. Al pointed out that heat melts or softens epoxy, I use my heat gun all the time to remove parts that used epoxy as the glue. Space can be a big problem when heating things though but if the control rod is metal then it can be heated with a soldering iron. You may also require an Exacto Knife to open an area big enough to get that into the control rod area?

jester_s1 07-01-2015 06:45 AM

If it comes down to it elevators and differs aren't hard to make. It wouldn't take much fooling around with trying to unglue it before I'd just break it off and make a new one. Of course, If it's a built up piece that changes things.

gregoryshock 07-05-2015 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gray Beard (Post 12062013)
I don't quite get it all, a photo would be of great help. Without trying to over think it. Al pointed out that heat melts or softens epoxy, I use my heat gun all the time to remove parts that used epoxy as the glue. Space can be a big problem when heating things though but if the control rod is metal then it can be heated with a soldering iron. You may also require an Exacto Knife to open an area big enough to get that into the control rod area?

I'm not the perfect video shooter. This really isn't a video camera, but I felt that I couldn't tell you in pictures. I hope this will show you and others better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfF8KXdmzu8

gregoryshock 07-05-2015 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by jester_s1 (Post 12063912)
If it comes down to it elevators and differs aren't hard to make. It wouldn't take much fooling around with trying to unglue it before I'd just break it off and make a new one. Of course, If it's a built up piece that changes things.

It's a built up Elevator.

jaka 07-06-2015 07:35 AM

Hi!
I asume that you want to remove both elevator halves?! It's very simple! All you do is cut of the hinges and then bend one elevator half back and forth until it loosens! Then take the other one. Very easy to do.

Steve Percifield 07-07-2015 03:36 AM

You seem to have solved your problem, but. You could have deflected the elevator down and put a soldering iron on the joiner wire (torque rod ) when it gets hot, put a screw driver between the rod and the elevator and twist the screw driver. It will slide the rod out of the elevator. And, sometimes when you make repairs, and want to do it safely and correctly. You have to cut parts off, remake them and re install them. Just part of the game called modeling..

Also. what Jaka said is the easiest way. done that many times..

gregoryshock 07-20-2015 12:44 PM

Two of my Hinges came loose again. I cut square holes around them and glued in some blocks.

Jennifer Curtis 07-21-2015 04:24 AM

This is why I never use Robart hinge points.
One time was all it took to learn that lesson.

Jenny

gregoryshock 07-24-2015 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Curtis (Post 12073142)
This is why I never use Robart hinge points.
One time was all it took to learn that lesson.

Jenny

I like the Robart Hinges. Maybe they are harder to install, but they look like they will last. All my other planes have CA hinges and after some years they break. Maybe some of you can put in a new Hinge without cutting off the entire part. But I've never been able too. Which means on the Corsair, I'd end up break up the Elevator for no good reason. That's why I choose something I thought would last the life of the plane.