RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Yet Another What Is It (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11619896-yet-another-what.html)

IneptCorpse 07-22-2015 03:53 PM

Yet Another What Is It

2 Attachment(s)
This used to belong to a club member before he passed away. WS is 62" Length about 46" Was powered by an OS .60. Would love to know for sure what this is. Not sure if you can tell from the pics but the bottom of the wing is about 2" shorter than the top. It flares out to the top. Thanks for any help you can give me. Getting it ready to go back in the air.

JohnBuckner 07-22-2015 05:14 PM

Whatever it may be, it is some sort of alternative materials airplane. The fuselage appears to be a square gutter pipe which is very common with many types of Spads. The giveaway there is the inset firewall that the mount is bolted to and the bulkhead is screwed from the four sides through the gutter pipe agine common spad practice.

Hard to tell about the wing and tailfeathers which do not appear to be corroplast so they are likely built up balsa. I suspect this is a one off gutterpipe airplane a popular practice twenty to thirty years ago.

John

guitarsbanjo 07-22-2015 05:55 PM

Maybe, but, I've never seen a gutter pipe plane covered in monocote (or some type of covering), also, it tapers towards the tail, and it looks like it has a hatch on the bottom in front of the wing. Also, all of the gutter pipe I've used, and I've built 3 or 4 myself, from gremlins to sturdy birdies, the gutter pipe has always been square. This looks to me like it has a rectangle cross section to it. But I have no idea what it is, and you may be right, I've definitely not seen everything and some parts of the country have different types of building products than others. But it doesn't look like any particular plane I've seen before.

JohnBuckner 07-22-2015 08:12 PM

Ya, your probably right guitar. One things for certain, a flat low wing sure makes for a homely airplane :cool:

John

IneptCorpse 07-23-2015 01:57 AM

Yeah it ain't sexy that's for sure. Sorry should of mentioned this is all balsa no plastic or gutter pipe

guitarsbanjo 07-23-2015 01:57 PM

I know it's not an answer, but I was thinking it is a little pudgy looking, and the nose looks short, like it would need some nose weight. But otherwise looks like it would fly. I would guess scratch build, for very old kit have that motor mount. And if the screws are what is holding the motor mount on, ala the spad gutterspout, seems like fuel would seep around it into the airplane, is it glued and just screwed for extra insurance? I have looked at a lot of old plans on the outerzone, and this one doesn't look familiar.

Hope you find out.

IneptCorpse 07-24-2015 03:02 AM

Yeah motor mount is glued as well as screw in. Checked inside and can't find markings of the company that might have made it. Will continue my search.

raptureboy 07-24-2015 09:47 AM

FRANKINPLANE ! IT'S ALIVE! Most likely smashed it in the ground, then cut off the nose and added a firewall. We have a guy in our club who makes Frankinplanes :D