RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Glow engine parts and availability (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11637267-glow-engine-parts-availability.html)

billinpa 03-10-2017 12:05 PM

Glow engine parts and availability

Does anyone know where I can get Thunder Tiger parts for glow engines? I need the plastic (or metal) fuel nipple for a TT 25 GP I plan to put on a Sig Wonder. I see Tower no longer sells them and Global is going out of business. I think we're slowly losing glow engines, remember ASP, Royal, K&B, MegaTech, Fox and certainly more I forgot about.
Thank you!

Bill in Pa

1QwkSport2.5r 03-16-2017 10:43 AM

ASP and Leo engines are still available. Your TT engine should have a metric threaded fuel fitting, so if you determine the size of the hole, you should be able to source a fitting from Dubro if you can't find an OEM part. Look on eBay for parts and/or post a classified wanted ad.

DGrant 03-16-2017 07:57 PM

Yep... It's getting to where we almost need to retro-fit parts from brands still in production to keep our out-of-production engines going. I still have some nice Magnum engines, and a few others that are now out-of-production... Fortunately most of my engines are fine and don't need much... but I've got a really neat little Magnum .30 four-stroke that the throttle barrel threads broke off of. The engine is useless without that... but other then that runs just fine. The threads just got old and crusty over the years and flaked off... I've been searching for a parts engine for a few years for it... so keep your eyes out for parts engines too.

O.S. still has parts also for many of their engines. Many of those parts fit ThunderTiger, Magnum, and a few others. There's a strong chance a fuel nipple would retro fit from an OS to a ThunderTiger I believe.

aspeed 03-17-2017 06:11 AM

5 Attachment(s)
You can try Just Engines for Magnum parts,they are the same as ASP. If you can not get them, then you may be able to retap to the next bigger size, and make something up, depending what it looks like. The TTiger may be able to use something like a wheel collar with a nipple soldered on, or whatever. You have to be creative now. I have tapped holes in broken needle housings, and put in a nipple, and used a remote needle quite often. Soldered up needle holes, and used a remote needle etc. I get lots of old swap meet motors to play with for control line conversions etc, so I try lots of weird stuff out of necessity. Oh, I have machine tools too, so I have to use them. Parts engines are getting more plentiful now if you go to swap meets, as people get away from glow. It seems the parts engines I get are really pretty good, just hardened up from sitting, or missing mufflers mostly.