RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Spektrum DX6i binding (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11642706-spektrum-dx6i-binding.html)

kirljam 11-02-2017 06:11 PM

Spektrum DX6i binding

Just purchased a used Spektrum DX6i. Went through the binding process and everything but the throttle worked after the process. The rx held a steady tone until I disconnected the battery. Tried to start the radio again. Same solid tone from the RX. Any suggestions.

Thanks.
kirljam

jester_s1 11-02-2017 06:46 PM

Are you sure the radio is good? DX6i's have a history of bad pots on the gimbals. I've had two replaced before. If you know someone with a known good Spektrum equipped plane, you could bind your radio to it and see what happens. Alternately, you could bind their radio to your plane and see what happens.

jrf 11-03-2017 11:27 AM

That sounds like the idle trim is not all the way down. Try that first.

H5606 11-05-2017 08:19 AM

Had a DX6i since new - showed up at field with a number of foamy electrics one day within the past year - set up first airplane to fly that day and got only half of the usual initiation tones from ESC - everything (R,E,A) worked except throttle...

Thought it was isolated to this airplane so tried another and got same result - rebound system and same problem again. Another club member bound airplane to his JR Tx and I was able to fly a flight with his transmitter.

When at home, put the DX6i Tx into monitor mode and saw cursor for throttle only moving a small amount at far end of scale; did research on-line and found multiple videos describing control stick potentiometer cleaning procedure. Cleaned throttle pot pc board with alcohol and a cotton swab plus a pencil eraser without taking apart stick assembly IIRC. (The throttle pot is on the outside of the left stick for mode II flyers.) Now the cursor moves properly in Monitor Mode and the transmitter's been working without issue since.

In order to put Tx into Monitor Mode, go to Setup List - quickest way to get there is to turn system on, then hold scroll button down for three seconds - scroll down to Monitor and click scroll button. From this point you can watch the cursors move in conjunction with corresponding stick/channel. Cursor should move smoothly from one end of scale to other without hesitation.

buzzard bait 11-06-2017 04:39 PM

That is exactly what happened to me with a DX6i that I bought used. Very upsetting at first, but I got some advice here and diagnosed it and fixed it the same way you did. I've had about a year of trouble-free use since.

Jim

jester_s1 11-07-2017 08:04 PM

I have misgivings about Spektrum's build quality, especially on this radio. But their service is outstanding. If you send it to them, they will likely replace both complete gimbal assemblies free of charge. At least that's what happened to me the two times I had this problem.

buzzard bait 11-08-2017 09:21 AM

On mine someone had installed a screen lighting kit, and Spektrum sent it back saying that because of the aftermarket parts they would not work on it. However, they didn't charge me the postage on the return. Then I found out how to clean the pot myself like H5606 did and it was so easy I wondered why Spektrum didn't just do it. Some risk management lawyer, I imagine. I'm not complaining since they were nice about the postage, but it seems a bit picky since this is a well-known problem with their product.

Jim

H5606 11-10-2017 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by jester_s1 (Post 12381783)
I have misgivings about Spektrum's build quality, especially on this radio. But their service is outstanding. If you send it to them, they will likely replace both complete gimbal assemblies free of charge. At least that's what happened to me the two times I had this problem.

Is Horizon Hobby the place to send to for Spektrum service? Did you send two transmitters to them and did they replace both L&R gimbals on the two occasions?

Horizon has a radio trade-in program periodically but for only $30 towards purchase of new radio, I keep holding onto this older DSM2 transmitter; was wondering if during the recall, they swapped the transmitter for a brand new one (DSMX) free of charge?

jester_s1 11-11-2017 04:09 PM

Yes, it was Horizon. Both radios were more than a year old, and they replaced both gimbals both times without even asking for a receipt or warranty registration. They paid for the return shipping too as I recall.