RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   I don't have a car. What are my options on transporting my planes? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11643112-i-dont-have-car-what-my-options-transporting-my-planes.html)

Laggger164 11-20-2017 11:10 AM

I don't have a car. What are my options on transporting my planes?

The title says it all.

If I don't have a car (Well I do, but it's not really available to me all the time) what can I make/use to transport my stuff?

What airplanes can I make so it would be simpler/easier to transport on foot or with a bike/motorbike?

I accept any and all answers you can give me, just throw it in the reply bin. Thank you!

Hydro Junkie 11-20-2017 12:03 PM

Your best bet is probably an electric plane with a wing span of no more than 48". As far as how to get it to the field, easiest thing I can think of is one of those bicycle trailers that are attached to the seat post. It would give you a way to carry your plane, radio, spare parts and batteries and, if power is available, a charger to extend your flying time

j.duncker 11-20-2017 12:55 PM

I used to fly with a young man who would cycle out from town with a Pete Russell 363 delta [ 49 inch span ] in a simple frame along side the rear wheel.

Plan here https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6215

Laggger164 11-20-2017 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by j.duncker (Post 12385324)
I used to fly with a young man who would cycle out from town with a Pete Russell 363 delta [ 49 inch span ] in a simple frame along side the rear wheel.

Plan here https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6215

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12385316)
Your best bet is probably an electric plane with a wing span of no more than 48". As far as how to get it to the field, easiest thing I can think of is one of those bicycle trailers that are attached to the seat post. It would give you a way to carry your plane, radio, spare parts and batteries and, if power is available, a charger to extend your flying time

Awesome, so cycling could be an option.

Now how about backpacking? Or a suitcase? Would that be feasible? I dont think they would even let me inside a bus with a large wing or something, but what are the options anyways?

jester_s1 11-20-2017 06:02 PM

Most of the smaller electric type planes could be made to work. If you can take the wing off, you could make a custom carry case for the unassembled plane. You'll also need a case for your transmitter and batteries too.

Pylonracr 11-20-2017 08:06 PM

Along the same lines, I am thinking a hard case made for rifles. Cut the foam to fit the plane and wing. Probably need a removable horizontal stab, but not too hard to do. You could take a hard case on a bus after you explain to the driver that there is not a gun in it.

Scott

jester_s1 11-21-2017 06:22 AM

I think a rifle case would be too thin.And, of course, there is the constant issue of people wanting to see what's inside. I haven't ever seen a park flyer with a removable tail either. It wouldn't be too hard to cobble a case together out of cardboard and attach a string or fabric handle.

Redpilot 11-21-2017 06:24 AM

Something demountable would be best. I noticed yesterday that HobbyKing do glider backpacks, and I'm pretty confident my Radian would fit in one. Of course, you'll need to carry the rest of your field kit (and maybe your flask and butties) in another bag.

On the other hand, Quad flying makes for a simple system. Turnigy do a great Drone case, which can fit TX and (in my case) two micros, as well as batteries and spare props etc.

At least one person on the forums has used a bike trailer, and I fancy this option myself, as I like cycling, but not driving. Depending on the trailer, you could get quite a lot on board.

raptureboy 11-21-2017 09:39 AM

A Guillows glider or a drone :rolleyes: But really there are some nice airplanes with 2 piece wings that would work well with a bike trailer.

GREG DOE 11-21-2017 09:52 PM

50 years ago I borrowed my college roommates bicycle, and carried a 36" 1/2A single channel to the flying field.Of course, I had to carry my support equipment too. If your flying site has power, or charging stations, electrics would be much easier then glow.

JohnBuckner 11-22-2017 08:29 AM

8 Attachment(s)
For what its worth my flying buddy over the years has done some cycling to the flying field. I think mostly in an attempt to stay healthy. Anyway his commute is about seven miles each way and mostly transported his Sig Something Extra with a .46. as well as several others. One interesting one that he has transported is a seventy inch Northrup Black Widow with .46's, or course the ourboard wings are removable. The trailers is a conventional bike trailer from an bicycle shop and the tongue is attached to one side of the rear axe quick release.

foodstick 11-22-2017 08:42 AM

There used to be a bicycle trailer / plane hauler around here as well. So it sounds like that has been done quite a bit...