RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Long Shot (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11643350-long-shot.html)

JollyPopper 12-03-2017 06:14 PM

Long Shot

I have become the owner of an ARF that needs some parts but I don't know what the model is or who made it and I was hoping that someone here could help me track this thing down. It is totally unassembled and came in a plain white box with no plans or instructions in it. It did have some crumpled newspaper in it that had oriental writing on it and I presume it to be Japanese. It is a float plane with a stepped hull and pod mounted engine above the wing. It has a 60 inch wing span and the fuselage is 50 inches long. The horizontal stabilizer sits on top of the vertical stabilizer, just as does the Sea Master. My guess is that the plane will closely resemble an old Ace Sea Master float plane when it is built. The most glaring omission is the nacelle that houses the engine. I would also love to get my hands on a set of instructions because I do not know just how the pieces all fit together, especially the details inside the engine nacelle.

mashp39 12-04-2017 04:31 AM

Picture

You have it but don't know what it is! How can anyone tell you what it is without a picture? I think it is a Ruptured Duck.

jester_s1 12-04-2017 04:36 AM

It sounds like you are describing a Flibledyflew, made my Carvey enterprises in the late '80's.

JohnBuckner 12-05-2017 07:07 AM

One possibility that comes to mind was an early ARF of similar configuration and size was the Lanier Sea Bird , although I cannot remember if it was a T tail or not. It was of the typical Lanier construction with plastic molded around a plywood structure. Having seems in the hull it leaked like a sieve.

I tested one many years ago for a fellow down at lake Havasu and was not impressed. Whatever your airplane is I suspect you will have to fabricate your own nacelle. If you do I would suggest you build in around eight to ten degrees upthrust in the pylon. This to avoid many of the problems some hi line podded seaplanes can encounter.

John

JollyPopper 12-07-2017 11:14 AM

Jester, Google does not return anything on "Fibledyflew" and the only "Carvey Enterprises" is a government contractor in Montana.

John, I have resigned myself to believing that I will have to scratch build a nacelle if I am to build this thing. My next step is to decide if the plane is worth the effort. I have a SeaMaster hanging in my garage and I will take measurements on the nacelle and if it is close to fitting the pylon in my mystery kit, I will at least have a pattern.

jester_s1 12-07-2017 07:23 PM

Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase there. That was a reference to a Saturday Night Live bit from the 80's.

JollyPopper 12-08-2017 09:22 AM

jester, from your handle, I suspected as much but was not certain so I decided to play it straight just in case you were being serious. No harm, no foul, my friend.