RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Ultracote Matching Paint (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11643701-ultracote-matching-paint.html)

vogelm1 12-20-2017 04:46 PM

Ultracote Matching Paint

Guys - I've been using PPG Concept paint in the past for fiberglass cowls and wheel pants. Mixing recipes could be found online for the basic Ultracote colors which matched extremely well. The paint sprayed easy with great results. Problem now is the Concept line seems to be fading away - many of the tints used to custom mix the Ultracote colors are no longer available.

Is there another route I can go to achieve similar results? I've heard of Klass Kote being used...can pre-mixed pints be purchased that match the coverings we use? Thanks for any info out there!

DavidAgar 12-20-2017 08:19 PM

You can get the covering color matched at the Home Depot and use latex paint with a clear coat on top. Good Luck, Dave

RBACONS 12-21-2017 03:24 AM

Iron a piece of the ultracote to a piece of balsa and take it to the place where you buy your automotive paints. They can use an optical scanner to determine the correct mix. I did it recently with 3 monokote colors and the matches were exact.

GREG DOE 12-21-2017 10:39 PM

Nate, at KlassKote will custom mix. I consider it a little "pricey". I've never taken advantage of the service, but I have satisfied friends who have.

vogelm1 12-22-2017 05:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone. I'll be exploring each of these a bit more as I won't have to worry about painting much until next spring.

DJH 12-27-2017 07:47 PM

KlasKote has the colors for most of the Ultra kote colors its not cheep but its worth the price Use as directed and its great

vogelm1 12-28-2017 05:36 AM

Will definitely check out KlassKote in my search and good to know they have pre-mixed colors. The PPG Concept that I'd been using was quite spendy too so no shocker on the price lol. Thanks guys!

Skeezix4me 01-05-2018 05:30 AM

Not sure how far you want to go with matching, but these guys seem legit, and I will be using them later this year: www.wingswestrc.com

TimJ 04-24-2019 03:05 PM

I've used Wings West RC stuff as well. Can't go wrong.

kenh3497 04-24-2019 07:20 PM

A gentleman on one of the F.B. groups has been using artist acrylic paints. IIRC he uses the Liquitex brand From Hobby Lobby. They are very thick but highly loaded with pigment so still cover well when thinned to spray. I've used some of the craft acrylics with fair success. I always clear with automotive urethane to fuel proof. I will be giving the art acrylic a try next time around. Liquites also has a painting guide discussing mixing colors and making transparent paints like red and yellow cover better.

Ken

vogelm1 04-26-2019 05:09 PM

Thanks for all the thoughtful suggestions on paint guys! After giving this a bunch of thought, I'm going to give Klass Kote a try. It's closest to what I've been used to using (two-part mix single stage spray) and hoping the color match meets my expectations.

ChardMph 10-25-2021 06:45 AM

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Many find the paint in special stores, you must ask a consultant right there how could you mix ultracote ones. You cannot find the same store in every city, this is why I would like you have specified where you need to take it from. I don't understand the need for that type of color, as any other kind could match your needs, and if you search enough, there could be ones that work better. I required custom paint when my child decided to paint something on the neighbor's metallic wall, and the service in the store explained everything and helped me out, this is why I suggest asking for advice in specialized places.