RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   "Best" after market item for RC airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11644722-best-after-market-item-rc-airplanes.html)

JollyPopper 02-10-2018 01:25 PM

"Best" after market item for RC airplanes

Well, guys, it's the middle of winter and I was just wondering what everyone thought the best after market item for RC airplanes is. By "best", I mean the most useful, most sensible item. I personally think it is the Fults dual strut nose gear for tricycle planes. I'm sure others will have other opinions. Let's hear some.

blvdbuzzard 02-10-2018 04:03 PM

Best, that is wide open. Best tool, best accessory, upgrade, gizmo? I have a few best from last year. New $5.00 full size glue gun. it works so much better. Best tool, an osculating spindle sander. Makes quick work of balsa and foam. Just a couple from me.

Buzz.

JollyPopper 02-10-2018 05:40 PM

Yeah, I think tools would have to be considered here, maybe as a sub category. I have heard it said that a man is only as good as his tools, and I think that applies very much to RC airplane building. I have always had a problem making slots for hinges. A couple years ago I ran across a tool on the internet to do slots. It is a flat blade shaped like an arrowhead, razor sharp point and fluted on the sides, very sharp. This thing fits in a handle that comes with some hobby knife sets and you simply cut the slot by hand, shoving the point right in the center of where you want the slot and letting the fluted edges cut their way into the balsa. Cuts easily and you can guide it where you want it. Works in even very thin balsa.

JohnBuckner 02-11-2018 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by JollyPopper (Post 12405118)
I was just wondering what everyone thought the best after market item for RC airplanes is. By "best", I mean the most useful, most sensible item. .

If by that you are referring to "best" for new folks then that for me can be summed up in one word and that is a 'Mentor'. In other words the dreaded instructor word. That should be the most important item before spending on any After market junk.

Yes I agree with you Jollypopper The Fults is a rugged and useful nose gear for certain types of airplanes, I have two flying one on my four engine Quad Cadet 12.5 pounds and also on my Turbine Cadet 14.5 pounds. I also believe they are long gone for some time now and therefore when and old one comes along I snatch it up quickly. I,ve two more of the longest ones left in my stash:cool:

John

BarracudaHockey 02-11-2018 09:20 AM

Best thing you can buy for a model plane is fuel (or extra batteries)

Steve Collins 02-11-2018 01:32 PM

I'm gonna go with the One Clik style multi servo connector. When you have as many as 3 or 4 servos or whatever in a removable wing, these things are lifesavers.

Multi-Servo Harness for 3 Servos, by Thunderbolt RC, from Thunderbolt RC, tb-msh12-3 - Chief Aircraft Inc.

EDR-102 One-Clik Multi-Connex

carlgrover 02-14-2018 06:14 AM

My favorite accessory is a servo driver. Very handy when setting up linkages in a new plane.

carl

A. J. Clark 02-14-2018 07:20 AM

I like the ernst adapter to put on the charge connector so it can be mounted on the fuse for outside access. Gives me peace of mind that I can check the battery any time with out removing anything.

Steve Collins 02-14-2018 09:48 AM

Instead of a servo driver, I use a simple rig which is a spare receiver, battery pack and switch to do the same thing you would use a servo driver for.

Bozarth 02-14-2018 08:03 PM

I agree...my servo driver is my best workshop tool!

Kurt

JollyPopper 02-15-2018 08:10 AM

I have a servo tester. Is that the same as a servo driver? If so, I guess I have never realized the true value of it. Other than telling me that the servo works, has no stripped gears and whether or not it goes full range both ways, what does it do for you? Maybe I have a very valuable tool and didn't realize it.

BarracudaHockey 02-15-2018 08:11 AM

You can setup a servo in a wing or whatever without connecting an entire radio system.

Jennifer Curtis 02-15-2018 08:32 AM

Voltmeter.

Jenny

the Wasp 02-17-2018 11:00 PM

well it would be "knowledge" for sure

jim

r ward 07-17-2018 06:00 AM

i'd go with a decent voltmeter, too. !