RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Using one battery on a gas plane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11684554-using-one-battery-gas-plane.html)

katman74 11-07-2020 03:58 PM

Using one battery on a gas plane

Can I use one lipo or life battery to power my plane and gas equine. G62 with electronic ignition. It call for 6 volts.
Hitec servos thru out, not digital

tedsander 11-07-2020 09:27 PM

Use a LiFe only. A LiPo will be too "hot" (high voltage) for the receivers/servos. But a LiFe, while pushing the voltage a bit, is fine with the radio gear. Also get a Tech Aero IBEC (Ultra IBEC - Tech-Aero Designs LLC). Besides being a great ignition switch, and fantastic RF isolator, it has an in-line voltage regulator, so you can make sure the voltage going to the ignition never exceeds the 6v.
My 40cc with 5 high torque servos gets about 8 12-14 min. flights from a 2400 mah pack. Of course, your mileage may vary a lot from mine....

Lifer 11-08-2020 01:37 AM

You don't need the IBEC to run the system. I have successfully used a single battery to run the radio system and the ignition system and a stabilizer as well. Drains the battery pretty fast, but zero operation issues. That being said, dual battery systems are still a good idea and what most people use.

tedsander 11-08-2020 07:54 AM

He didn't specify what the electronic ignition system was, except that it was 6v. Having burned up one of mine (not at all the same engine) with over volts, I recommended the IBEC out of an abundance of caution. It may be that it can handle a LiFe without issue. Something to check with the mfg. about.
At minimum, an optical kill switch (or the IBEC) controlled by the TX is mandatory for safety.

Lifer 11-08-2020 08:04 AM

A servo operated choke is fine for a kill switch as well. Neither is mandated by the AMA for safe operation, only a manual switch.

tedsander 11-08-2020 03:05 PM

Some engines will continue to run if fully choked. A simple switch on the plane would work, but is less accessible than a control on the TX, etc. "Mandatory" was meant to emphasis it being a best practice for safety, not to claim there was a requirement by a higher authority....

speedracerntrixie 11-08-2020 07:20 PM

I personally would never run a gas engine without a transmitter activated kill switch. I have seen to many throttle servo failures to not want a positive way to shut down the engine at a moments notice. The Tech Aero IBEC is a great suggestion and I have been using them for the last 8 years.

Hydro Junkie 11-08-2020 09:49 PM

I would have to agree as well, a positive way to shut down the engine is a must have. I've had the throttle linkage fail while one of my nitro boats was running, resulting in having to run in circles until the tank was empty. Had it happened on a plane, there's no telling where it would have ended up as it took over 5 minutes of doing donuts in the middle of the pond before it finally quit and that was after running a mile(5 laps) race plus the prerace warm up and jockeying with other boats.

BarracudaHockey 11-09-2020 05:16 AM

I had a 3D yak setup with idle on the throttle trim and a switch to activate a mix to pull it closed.

I was at a big 3D event with people lined up 3 deep at each flight station to fly and my throttle linkage went at maybe 1/3 throttle. I flew in circles for nearly 40 minutes waiting for it to run out of gas and dead stick while getting glared at from everyone waiting to fly. I get my balls busted about it to this day.

After that, electronic kill switches in all my gas engine setups, now mostly Tech Aero IBEC's

daveopam 11-09-2020 07:57 AM

I fly a 70" profile with a dle20. I use one 3000mah 2 cell Life to run it all. After 4 flights I have about 50% battery life left. I do run two switches. The battery pack has 2 servo leads so I just run one to each switch. There are many many variables. So if you go this route be sure and check you battery life every flight till you get a feel for the life of the charge.
I don't run a electronic kill switch. It's not a bad idea. I too have flown a plane for 20 minutes waiting for the fuel to run out. I would say there is not a lot of room in a profile for extra parts, but only one of my other 4 gassers has a kill switch. If I flew at events or contest it would be different.

David

sensei 11-10-2020 06:02 AM

If I am setting up an airplane 50cc gas or bigger, I run a power safe receiver, two 7.4V lipos, a Tech Aero ibec, and high torque HV servos, but thatís just me.

Bob

speedracerntrixie 11-16-2020 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by sensei (Post 12643754)
If I am setting up an airplane 50cc gas or bigger, I run a power safe receiver, two 7.4V lipos, a Tech Aero ibec, and high torque HV servos, but thatís just me.

Bob

Pretty much the same here, dual batteries with two inputs into the RX. Last few I have incorporated Zepsus magnetic switches. No more switches mounted external and the failure mode is in the On position.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...e25ee195a0.png

sensei 11-17-2020 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12645018)
Pretty much the same here, dual batteries with two inputs into the RX. Last few I have incorporated Zepsus magnetic switches. No more switches mounted external and the failure mode is in the On position.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...e25ee195a0.png

Nice!

Bob

DGrant 11-26-2020 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by katman74 (Post 12643227)
Can I use one lipo or life battery to power my plane and gas equine. G62 with electronic ignition. It call for 6 volts.
Hitec servos thru out, not digital

I use a single 4000mah LiFe battery on my 50cc plane with no problem, Using 6 digital servos and an IBEC(TechAero) for the ignition. As mentioned it can be a personal preference. This has worked for me though. My newer equipment and large planes get dual batteries and PowerSafe Rx's.

As for the kill feature, that's in the TechAero device, I also have a throttle cut programmed, and choke servos... so 3 ways to kill it if needed(overkill..), but the TechAero IBEC is always the preferred way I kill it... it's like turning off a light switch... instant.