RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   R/C Plane Kits (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11686403-r-c-plane-kits.html)

pbooth 01-04-2021 06:21 PM

R/C Plane Kits

The last kit I built was a Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk, full build kit. That was 2005. Today, I was thinking about building another plane. Starting looking
online for kits and NOTHING. What is going on?

What is the R/C go to place now for kits? Back in the day tower hobbies had everything.

Outrider6 01-04-2021 06:47 PM

The only supplier I know of that has a decent selection of kits is Graves RC.

Graves kits

There are very, very few kit manufacturers still in business and still making kits. Sig is one of them. Balsa USA is another. I have ordered Sig kits directly from Sig, and from Graves, this year. Or you can go on Fleabay and voluntarily get raped, if you want to pay the price for an older kit that is still in the box.

ARF's, BNF's, RTF's and instant gratification has nearly killed the kit business. Builders are few & far between. I love building every bit as much as I love flying, and am trying to help keep that business alive, as it wanes away.

I am building an OV-10 Bronco "kit" now, which is essentially a scratch-build, except that I don't have to cut out too many curved parts. But I still have to rack my brain trying to figure out the design intent, figure out why the wood doesn't match the plans, and pull my few remaining hairs out because there are essentially no top views on these "plans" that have no building instructions. I won't name the "kit" maker (not Uravich), but I sure did learn my lesson. Good thing I have built over 40 kits and can figure out this one (eventually).

pbooth 01-04-2021 07:51 PM

Thanks for the link. I guess I can figure something out.

I could see building this kit (balsa usa 40 trainer), sheeting it for strength and modifying it for wing bolt. I'm not in to electric stuff, but this plane might work well w/it. gravesrc.com/balsa-usa-student-trainer-40-size

So, I went out to my flying club after not being there for years. I was in shock. Everything out there was foam, plastic, ARF or something ready made out of a box. many electrics. Not my style. But thats ok I guess, at least people were having fun.

rgburrill 01-05-2021 04:26 AM

Many people are going electric for noise reasons. The FAA has new rules about where you fly and with the suburbs expanding they are encroaching on flying fields. Nothing wrong with electric. Powerful motors are getting smaller as well as batteries. And it you want that noise get a sound generator. Too bad someone hasn't come up with a nitro skunk.;)

BTW, while there are a few nice buys sold here, most kits sold here are way overpriced. And if you see the words "antique", "rare" or "unique" just skip the ad and move on.

jester_s1 01-06-2021 07:02 AM

There are lots of boutique vendors making kits to order. The quality is at least as good as the old die cut kits, usually better. Eureka aircraft, vintage model company, Hangar 1 kits, Laser Works, and a lot of others are out there.

carlgrover 01-06-2021 10:29 AM

One stop shopping ala Tower Hobbies is over. But there are still plenty of kit makers out there. Keep digging.

By the way, Sig and Balsa USA are still going. They sell all kinds of kits.

Carl

ziggy138 01-09-2021 08:45 AM

If you want something difference you should try some of the laser short kit cutters out there. Some cut older kit designs and outerzone has plans for older kits. You should look at balsaworkbench.com and see if Rob has anything you like, plus he also has great building tips on this sight.
I have build several of Rob's short kits and all parts fit very well. He does great work at "GOOD" prices. Check it out, it will not cost you anything to look and you may just find what you are looking for. Good luck.

ramboy 01-09-2021 06:12 PM

Bruce Tharpe has good kits.

JPMacG 01-11-2021 04:52 PM

How about Sig? I bought a kit directly from them in 2019.

ziggy138 01-11-2021 05:06 PM

Sig kits

I have built and fly at least 6 Sig kits. All fly very well and build well. Sig kits are good quality and have good instrutions. Good choice is their 4 star kit, great flyers. Ken C.