RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Electric receiver in Glow engine plane question? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11704329-electric-receiver-glow-engine-plane-question.html)

jaj333 01-03-2023 07:00 AM

Electric receiver in Glow engine plane question?

I have been using a Spectrum AR610 Receiver out of one of my electric planes in one of my older 40 size Glow engine planes. It has a OS46 fx engine on it. Wanting to fly the older planes I have with my DX8 Spectrum G2 radio. So I converted it to that receiver. I have flown it and it seems to work fine. But I was going to buy some more receivers from Horizon Hobby and they say that that's a No No. Wanted me to buy a much more expensive receiver. Said you can't go to Glow with the cheaper receivers. Then one of there guys said you could. A tech at Motion RC said not to as well. Anyone else covert their glow engined planes to 2.4 receivers. And what did you use.

Outrider6 01-03-2023 08:10 AM

I think some of those korporut henchmen were blowing smoke up your butt, either by ignorance or instruction to say so. From Spektrum, the AR610 is suitable for electric up through .90 (which implies glow) planes:

https://www.spektrumrc.com/product/a.../SPMAR610.html

However, the word "coated" in the item name gives me pause. I am unfamiliar with that term. Maybe someone else knows what it means and can explain if it relates to your situation.

Also, in case you weren't already aware, it is extremely important to isolate the receiver in a plane with an engine, to preclude damage to the electronics inside it from vibration. You need to pad your receiver with foam rubber sheets (Dubro, etc. makes products especially for this), to isolate the receiver from the fuselage structure.

I hope this helps (some).

skyhawkjock 01-03-2023 08:31 AM

2.4 GHz receivers by themselves are perfectly fine for Glow and Gas powered airplanes. What the Techs may be worried about is the use of 2.4 receivers with built-in gyro/stabilizers. That is a big NO NO! The solid state accelerometers in these units are not designed to withstand the high frequency vibrations found in glow and gas powered airplanes and will eventually fail causing the loss of your airplane unless you are quick enough to switch off the stabilizer at the transmitter before the crash.

Bottom line: 2.4 Receivers OK. Solid State Gyro/Stabilizers NO! (Unless built specifically for Gas/Glow operation).

aspeed 01-08-2023 09:17 AM

While far from being and expert on receivers, maybe the coated means a conformal coating, which is just an epoxy painted over the electronics to keep them from shaking loose from vibrations. Maybe it is chinglish for coding? or something to do with the satellite receivers? Maybe someone really knows. Lots of folks use the cheap Orange and Lemon receivers for glow with satisfactory results. I heard of sketchy Orange problems, but then have heard that for the Spectrum receivers too. I believe the gyro could be an issue too, so that may be good advise. I have nothing like that so can not comment. I really only used the Spectrum (with Orange receivers) for electrics, but like you, want to use them for glow this year.

RCoffroadracer 01-18-2023 06:18 PM

I honestly dont see why it would be any different than being in a nitro car. Which are often built with signal blocking carbon fiber. They generate high frequency vibration where the receiver mounts.
i completely get not using a gyro without insulating it from the chassis

jaj333 01-18-2023 10:10 PM

I have two Spectrum receivers in glow planes now. I did go back and wrap them in foam. But have flown both before I did and they seemed to work fine. Thanks for the help