RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Aileron and Elevator rolling circle's ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/1336244-aileron-elevator-rolling-circles.html)

Blackie 12-08-2003 11:45 AM

Aileron and Elevator rolling circle's ?

This question may not be be easily answered via writing but here it goes anyway.

Using Flight simm G2 with the giant scale Ultimate.

I am trying to learn how to do a rolling circle but can't seem to get the hang of it. Starting the roll to the right moving into a left circle, the nose is either climbing or dropping with extreme behavior causing me to pull out of the maneuver or either crashing.

Can this be eaisly explained here?

Thanks
Blackie

Stick Jammer 12-08-2003 06:59 PM

RE: Aileron and Elevator rolling circle's ?

Don't mean to sound stupid here but you are using the rudder, right? :)

daven 12-08-2003 08:08 PM

On many planes, I can do a decent rolling circle without using rudder. Start a slow aileron roll, and push alternating up and down elevator while in knife edge. With the right timing, you can do a pretty nice looking rolling circle without ever touching the rudder.

Daven

daveopam 12-08-2003 09:53 PM

The best I can explain it. And this is for a fast rolling circle without using rudder. If it climbing your not going from up to down elevator fast enough. If it's diving. pause a little at the end points of your up and down elevator movement. This is if your giving the right input at the right time of course.

David

Ed_Moorman 12-09-2003 09:32 AM

The best way to learn one is to use the following set-up and procedure:
-Aileron and elevator only at first.
-A slower roll rate will let you learn to coordinate the elevator more easily. Set a very low rate aileron, slow roll speed.
-Roll and turn in the same direction at first.

Once you get the coordination down, you can increase the roll rate and add in rudder, if necessary.

Geistware 12-10-2003 11:34 AM

I will start using that procedure and see if I can do it.
I only need to do it for one roll 1/4 turn! :)

daveopam 12-10-2003 09:14 PM

I know it's just me, but I can do better rolling Right and turning Left. try it both ways. I'll but it's easier for you one way or the other. My thumb just likes pushing the stick to the outside.

David

jcflysrc 12-11-2003 05:13 AM

I do it with the ailerons and the rudder. Turn left, rolling right, or vice versa. It's a timing thing.

greenboot 12-11-2003 02:06 PM

I would say a good rolling turn requires continuosly changing amounts of rudder and elevator, only the aileron stays constant. When you pass through knife edge, the rudder holds the nose up; when the wings are level, the rudder pushes the nose around the circle.

An easy way to practice with G2 is to set the time factor real low. That makes it fly in slow motion and you will have time to think and see the controls.

Tom

daveopam 12-11-2003 07:21 PM

Tom, Your right for a slow rolling circle. The ones I do are full low rate AILE deflecton. The plane rolls at least 20-30 times per circle. It depends on how much throttle I use. The slow rolling cirlce is better looking and the difficulty is a 10 compared to the one I do being a 5.
I have been practicing the slow rolling circle but have not mastered it yet.
I will have to try slowing the REAL FLIGHT down. That a great tip.
Thanks, David

rorywquin 12-12-2003 05:46 AM

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Tom, Your right for a slow rolling circle. The ones I do are full low rate AILE deflecton. The plane rolls at least 20-30 times per circle. It depends on how much throttle I use. The slow rolling cirlce is better looking and the difficulty is a 10 compared to the one I do being a 5.
I have been practicing the slow rolling circle but have not mastered it yet.
I will have to try slowing the REAL FLIGHT down. That a great tip.
Thanks, David
Practise doing nice axial hesitation rolls - eg first roll 90deg - rudder needed to fly straight, next 90 elevator, next 90 rudder 90 again to upright - once you can do that, break the roll into 45 deg segments which will need some rudder and elevator input - once you can do it easily, a circle will follow - a right hand circle while rolling right is easier than a right hand circle rolling left ! Flight sims are great for getting the co-ordination sorted so that you are automatically doing the corrections as you fly - crashes are less costly as well !!:D

NOVAflier 12-12-2003 07:53 AM

Anyone know where I can see a video of a rolling circle, and possible torque rolling? Not quite sure what to look for when I am at the field...

daveopam 12-12-2003 04:22 PM

Try www.3drc.info & downonthedeck.com

David