RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   interference problem-servos/RAM rotating beacon (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/1346252-interference-problem-servos-ram-rotating-beacon.html)

rryman 12-11-2003 11:16 PM

interference problem-servos/RAM rotating beacon

I am currently installing a RAM rotating beacon and RAM landing lights on my C-130. I just got the guts installed last night and am having a problem with servo jitter when the rotating beacon is turned on. the problem goes away when I switch off the beacon. The landing lights have no effect on the servos.
Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, what is the fix. If it is interference from the circuit board, could it be wrapped in foam and then in aluminum foil or something, or does it just have to be moved as far away from the receiver as possible?
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Randy

c-130RCpilot 12-18-2003 02:42 PM

RE: interference problem-servos/RAM rotating beacon

Randy:

I think you'll find a capacitor between the two terminals on the beacon motor will eliminate your rf interfeernce. I'm not certain what value cap you'll need, but I beleive a ceramic disc type of about 10,000pf would do the job. If you take apart an older servo, you will often find this type of capacitor soldered between the terminals of the servo's motor. Some servos used two caps, each conected to one of the terminals with the other side of each cap soldered to the motors case. Ace and others made/make glitch busters for servos, but they should not be necessary in your situation. Make certain that the wires and all of the parts for your rotating light are as far away as possible from the antenna, wires, servos, battery and receiver of your radio system. I assume that you are refering to a true rotating beacon with a small motor and not the simulated beacon (flashs slowly to simulate the effect of a rotating beacom) that RAM sells. If you are using a simulated beacon, you may very well need to consider glitch busters, or a means of shielding the stray rf that is making its way to your receiver and affecting your servos.

rryman 12-18-2003 06:30 PM

This is the RAM rotating beacon that just fades and gets bright. Actuallly it looks pretty authentic. I believe I may ahve solved the problem.I moved the circuit board and all wiring as far away from the receiver as I could get it, and the problem went away. Fortunately, due to the size of this plane, I was able to move it into the nose section and get it about 2ft. away. I will do some serious ground range checks, etc before I use it.
Thanks for the info anyway.
Randy

CafeenMan 12-19-2003 10:01 AM

I know you said you're going to do some range checking, but make sure you do it under a lot of conditions - especially with the engine running through all throttle settings. I would hate losing a plane because of some minor accessory.