RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Assembling a Hayes tank (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/1384189-assembling-hayes-tank.html)

Danh4 12-28-2003 10:17 PM

Assembling a Hayes tank

Sorry for the dumb question but I bought a bunch of Hayes 8 oz. tanks on ebay and I'm having trouble getting the stoppers into the necks of the tanks. Can someone with experience with these tanks tell me how much pressure is needed to get the stoppers in and if the metal collar should be seated first or slid on at the same time as the stopper?

-Dan

David Cutler 12-28-2003 11:32 PM

RE: Assembling a Hayes tank

The metal collar doesn't seem to be a tight fit on the neck of the opening to the tank, so I presume it's there just to give some strength to the neck.

Yes, it takes a bit of force to push the stopper in, and I usually use a bit of thick balsa with a hole in it on my work surface, and push down to slide it in.

I like the Hayes tanks more than any other as there are less parts to either leak or break.

Just a thought - if you are fitting a YS to the model, it's a good idea to bind the tank with sticky tape (duct tape or electrical tape will do!) to give it some strength against the pressure. I also place the whole tank in a plastic bag so that any leak doesn't ruin the model.

-David C.

TerrellFlyer 12-29-2003 10:08 AM

Takes a bit of pushing,I also use a bit of lube to help it slide on.

Danh4 12-29-2003 10:15 AM

Thanks guys, I'll keep trying. I was pushing on it hard enough to start caving in the front face of the tank with no results. I even placed a nut driver over the nipple and hammered on it. I'll try some lube and if that doesn't work I was thinking of dipping the front of the tank in some very hot water. If this thing leaks after all this, I'll be pissed!

CCRC1 12-29-2003 10:54 AM

Use a nut driver or socket, slip it over the nipple and it will give you the force you need to push it in. I prefer Hayes tanks, never had one leak or split, ever!

TerrellFlyer 12-29-2003 11:35 AM

Check and see if one side of the metal ring has more of a bevel than the other side. Last time I used that brand of tank I flipped the ring over and it went on easier

hookedonrc 12-29-2003 02:39 PM

When I have had trouble, I have also added twisting back and forth (if you can get a grip on the plug) it seems to help work the plug down into the tank opening.

CafeenMan 12-29-2003 02:46 PM

A little spit makes good lubricant when assembling tanks. :)

Danh4 12-29-2003 03:08 PM

I've tried spit, a nut driver and hammer, checked the bevel on the ring, etc. I like the idea of grabbing it with a pair of vise grips and twisting it in, that might work. Since I bought these on ebay (5 for $9!) I didn't get any instructions so thanks to all you guys for the tips. By the way, there isn't anything to them other than the clunk line, the stopper and the metal ring is there? I'm assuming the super tight fit is what seals them and there isn't an O-ring or anything like that I'm missing, right?

Dan

TerrellFlyer 12-29-2003 05:25 PM

Thats it ,nothing more,nothing less. Carefull with the vice gripes,bend the ring then you are s.o.l..:D

phread59 01-08-2004 01:35 PM

I use either pliers (when the stopper is feeling froggy, use a twisting motion and PUSH) or the butt end of my #1 hobby knife to insert the stopper. I just push the retainer ring on with the butt end of the hobby knife (no blade in it). Just work the ring down by pressing one side then go to the other side and rock it down. Yea I've kinda smooshed the front in some but never had any leaks. I use Hays whenever possible.

Mark Shuman

Danh4 01-08-2004 03:29 PM

I finally got it together by wrapping some sandpaper around a paintbrush handle and slightly enlarging the hole in the front of the tank. After that the stopper popped right in with a firm push and twist. Works great and no leaks. Thanks again to all who helped!

Dan