RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Spray paint or brush paint? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/1412495-spray-paint-brush-paint.html)

English Electric 01-08-2004 01:33 PM

Spray paint or brush paint?

May I ask what would be the better method for painting a model aircraft - spray painting or applying paint using a brush? I have used the typical brush method in the past, but only for small plastic kits. Now I am applying paint to an R/C aircraft, thus the scale is much larger and I am uncertain as to whether the brush method is still suitable for the job.

dr_wogz 01-08-2004 01:55 PM

RE: Spray paint or brush paint?

For looks, best to spray with a paint gun.
Paintr form cans will also do, but can splatter more; you have less control. But you can spray on too much, and get runs.
Using a brush, you can get streaks / lines when the paint dries.

A paint gun & compressor is my first choice, but an investment.

DMyer 01-08-2004 02:01 PM

Well... it all depends on the type finish you want. A brushed finish looks very good and authentic on a fabric covered scale plane that was actually painted in that manor. However, on many more modern scale subjects... a brushed finish... no matter how well done, just looks like you don't own spray equipment. On non-scale aircraft... whatever works for your taste is AOK allthough most people spray instead of brush these days. On large gas planes... brushed exterior latex is popular and looks quite good if done correctly. Good luck.

Dan

English Electric 01-08-2004 06:50 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. The main question is how to spray an aircraft with a complicated upper camouflage scheme with white undersides. The brush would be much easier to manouevre when painting the camouflage scheme, although it will leave the brush marks as aforementioned.

mstroh3961 01-08-2004 07:44 PM

Sounds like you need an airbrush. check out this [link=http://airbrush-depot.com/scripts/depot.exe?pgm=brushgate.bbx]link[/link]

CafeenMan 01-08-2004 09:57 PM

Spraying is a lot lighter than brushing. A couple mist coats give good coverage using far less paint than even a single brushed coat.

Painting Tools

Richard L. 01-08-2004 10:59 PM

ORIGINAL: English Electric

The main question is how to spray an aircraft with a complicated upper camouflage scheme with white undersides.

As already mentioned, an airbrush will make your life much easier and the end result can be spectacular. I used to build small scale plastic models, and I always used an airbrush to spray the camouflage scheme. An airbrush gives you soft demarcation lines between the colors, which you can't really achieve by hand brushing.

English Electric 01-09-2004 05:57 AM

Righteo, I will make use of an airbrush.

Jimmbbo 01-09-2004 06:11 AM

One other plus for the airbrush, is that if you want a super smooth finish, the airbrush does it with far less sanding than with a brush...

my 2 cents

Jim

English Electric 01-09-2004 10:58 AM

Does the airbrush just attach to the paint tin and mix a paint thinner with the enamel to create a low density liquid which is the ultimate spray paint going onto the aircraft?

Richard L. 01-09-2004 12:35 PM

You can attach a paint jar or small paint cup to most airbrushes. The paint would need to be thinned. I use non-toxic acrylic paint for spraying, and I usually thin the paint with plain water, 2/3 part paint to 1/3 part water, which usually gives me the best result spraying at 22 psi. My airbrush is connected to a small hobby compressor with auto shut off. For best result, you want to get an air compressor that has a built in air holding tank.