RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   transmitter damage due to antenna down while on (?) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/1417125-transmitter-damage-due-antenna-down-while.html)

teryn1 01-09-2004 11:48 PM

transmitter damage due to antenna down while on (?)

my JR 8103 transmitter was on for extended period (battery went dead) with the antenna down....

what is the likelihood that damage has been done?

what is the best way of testing it for damage?

It was left on and the battery went dead...

Thanks for any help,
Teryn

Tall Paul 01-09-2004 11:57 PM

RE: transmitter damage due to antenna down while on (?)

Likelihood.... Zero.
Happens all the time.
Recharge, go fly.

Flying_Luigi 01-10-2004 01:51 AM

Yeah, it has happened to me at least twice. Once on my Hitec flash 5 and once in an old airtronics. So far, no problems at all.

Recharge the battery and perform a range test before flying just to be sure.

Luigi

Stick Jammer 01-10-2004 02:31 PM

I have read where an extended "on" time with the antenna collapsed can cause damage due to something overheating inside the transmitter. I personally don't know if this is fact or an urban legend. As stated above, charge it up and do a thorough range check just to be safe.

twostroke 01-10-2004 02:57 PM

I've done it lots of time never had a problem got 7 years out of the batteries and I never cycle them.:D

darryl123 01-10-2004 04:52 PM

i had one go bad from the same thing but if it still has the same range it is still good. mine had 1 foot range check when i did it and the output transistor was bad.

Josey Wales 01-10-2004 05:00 PM

Futaba says on their website that you can over-heat the module if you dont extend the antenna. I had a Super 7 for 10 years and never worried about it but I just got a 9c so I guess Ill follow their instructions just in case!!;)

DBCherry 01-10-2004 11:46 PM

twostroke,
You certainly DID cycle your packs. Leaving the transmitter on for an extended period then recharging IS cycling. (But I think you meant your post as a joke. ;))
Dennis-

FletchNJ 01-11-2004 12:06 AM

Technically with the antenna down the SWR (Signal Wave Ratio) is all screwed up and you theoretically could burn out the Tx. Just like transmitting on a CB with no antenna.

BUT, given the output power, and the amount of time the battery actually lasts, there is most likely little to no Tx damage, although like everyone else says, it COULD damage the Tx, or deteriorate it's range, so a complete range check with full power is highly recommended.

Azcat59 01-11-2004 12:10 AM

I have a JR 8103, but so far haven't left it on. In addition to the range checks, check your battery reading after charging, AND check all your computer settings for the airplane in use, i.e. make sure servo reversing is the same as you had set, dual rates are still as programmed, etc. If it lost any of these settings it could cost you your airplane.

Clair