RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Field Plane Stand Plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/1722721-field-plane-stand-plans.html)

kreativdesigns 04-14-2004 11:51 AM

Field Plane Stand Plans

Say that title 5 times fast. I am trying to locate plans for a plane stand for the field. I saw one once that had two upright 2x4's to hold the wing back. I am also looking for a link for plans to make a plane holder.

Can anyone help.

staggerwing 04-14-2004 12:32 PM

RE: Field Plane Stand Plans

I think it was the August 2002 Model Aviation. There was a design for flight tables. Our club has built a modified version and they are very popluar. You can probably go to the AMA website and do a search through the back issues and find it.

Kaos Rulz 04-14-2004 01:21 PM

kreativdesigns,

Get in touch with "gfinan" here at RCU. He makes a great stand that he sells. (He's even had orders placed as far away as Brazil)

Not sure if he'll consider selling the plans, but get in touch and maybe ya'll can work a deal.

voyager_663rd 04-14-2004 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was posted a while ago in response to my similar question. I downloaded the pic but can't remember who posted it originally.

kreativdesigns 04-19-2004 10:54 AM

I'll check out the back issues of model aviation. I'm not looking for something small and pvc'ish. I'm looking for something almost the size of a workmate (black and decker work clamp table thing) and also an even bigger one that is more permanent about the size of a picnic table.

campbec 04-19-2004 05:36 PM

Hi Guys,

I use a chineese copy of a "Black & Decker" work table. Less than $20.00 from a chain hardware. I fitted a couple of brackets to hold the flight box power pack on the LHS and the fuel and pump on RHS. I fitted some aluminium angle to hold the wheels (works for tail draggers and trikes) and it folds flat in the car.

It's also great to sand on outside when you don't want to dust your workshop.

Cheers,

Colin

Xrod 04-20-2004 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Check this one out, saw it at the field and it looked handy, no plans, but it would not be hard to replicate.

Live Wire 04-21-2004 10:20 AM

Model avitiation August 2002 page 66. I have built 3 for the field and they work great!

Bill DCat 04-21-2004 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I second what Ed stated earlier. Get ahold of Greg Finan (GFinan) here at RCU. He can email you a set of plans for a GREAT field stand. Here's a picture of it:

chrmchris 04-07-2014 03:22 AM

rc plane stand

Originally Posted by Bill DCat (Post 1745256)
I second what Ed stated earlier. Get ahold of Greg Finan (GFinan) here at RCU. He can email you a set of plans for a GREAT field stand. Here's a picture of it:

Dear friend im interesting to build a stand for my plane and i saw your foto and love it,could you pls send me by email the plan for this stand to make it?
I will really appriciate it.
Rgds
christos

Lone Star Charles 04-07-2014 08:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Is this what you are looking for?

I don't remember where I got these, but I think it was from some club somewhere. Wish I could give proper credit.

Villa 04-07-2014 10:05 AM

Hi Lone Star Charles
That is my design, and everyone is welcomed to use it. I have since added a piece of wood at the rear of the surface the plane wheels sit on, to catch the plane in case the engine/motor starts backwards. We have 8 of those stands at our field. This design differs from the plans shown in the AMA magazine; mine is much stronger and includes two wheels. My design has required no servicing in the 8 years we have been using it.

RC_Fanatic 04-08-2014 10:10 AM

One suggestion for using there stands with a tail dragger. Be sure to put a strap around the rear of the fuselage or you will be replacing the prop. Don't ask me how I know! :mad:

da Rock 04-08-2014 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1985322

There are a number of safety table plans floating around. Every one I saw years ago when I made a number of stands for club fields were based on 2x4s. They all were robust to say the least. They really aren't overly stable tables with the majority of their weight being in the top, and having only 3 legs. So..........

If you want to improve an already decent design, change the table top planking to thinner boards. Use 1x4s for the top planking. It's absolutely strong enough, beyond strong enough for it's intended use.

With 1" planking, you'll find they're easier to move around the field. They're less apt to blow over (proven by Mother Nature). They're still strong enough to support half-wit adults who use them for stepladders, something that even 1" planking won't make out of them.

Villa 04-09-2014 07:11 AM

Hi da Rock
The Engine Starting Safety Stands sure make things easier as we get older. Have you ever started a .60 size engine on the ground and found that the throttle was a full blast?

jester_s1 04-09-2014 07:28 AM

We have these with 1 modification: we put wheels on the front two legs. That makes it a lot easier to turn them around to face the wind when we need to or to move them when we host events. Also, old carpet works great on the uprights to protect the planes' finishes. I've heard of people using pipe insulation, but that deteriorates in the sun and gets torn up in just a few months. Carpet works just as well and will last for years. Ours have been around so long they are black with exhaust residue and spilled fuel.

Silver Flyer 04-09-2014 10:37 AM

Look for the Meroke safety starting bench plans here on RCU I think. A big improvement over the 3 legged design. I have both at our field and use the older version with the straight up 2x4 wing stops, but the Meroke is more stable. If you build it make the wing stop 2x4s a little longer than the plans call for if you have a big plane to start.

Andre7 04-12-2014 03:46 PM

Hello. Do you still have plans for the folding field stand. I have been searching for some. Please advise and if you do what is the price. Thank you Rene Marquis

Silver Flyer 04-12-2014 04:31 PM

I don't have a folding stand. What I have is the Meroke Safety Starting bench. You can find plans for it by typing that in your search engine. Mine stays at the flying field and is not very moveable. Good luck finding what you want.

RC_Fanatic 04-12-2014 05:04 PM

I think he is looking for the one in post #6 above. I have one, love it, and will build another one soon!

mikefg 09-26-2016 12:37 PM

Hello Greg Finan or anyone else who has the plans for this Field Plane Stand. Can you please email me the plans. My email is [email protected] . The plans I want is for the one with the picture that Bill D Cat supplied. Many thanks in advance. Regards, Mike G.

RC_Fanatic 09-26-2016 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by mikefg (Post 12261764)
Hello Greg Finan or anyone else who has the plans for this Field Plane Stand. Can you please email me the plans. My email is [email protected] . The plans I want is for the one with the picture that Bill D Cat supplied. Many thanks in advance. Regards, Mike G.

Sent. Enjoy.

mikefg 09-26-2016 01:40 PM

Received. Many thanks Murray

ScaleRCpilot 03-28-2018 05:53 PM

Great field stand

Originally Posted by Bill DCat (Post 1745256)

Hi Bill! After reading your post as quoted I did a search thru the RCU membership and did not see Greg Finan aka GFinan listed. Do you have any other information on him or how I can get a plan so I can build myself one those very cool field stands? Any help you can provide will be very appreciated! Also is that your P-40 Warhawk and is it still flying? Thanks again! Doug Greer SR/CP

RC_Fanatic 03-29-2018 11:16 AM

Doug, PM me your email address and I can send you a set of plans.