RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   how many pounds does a gallon of water weight? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/1838718-how-many-pounds-does-gallon-water-weight.html)

dragos_cscc 05-23-2004 09:06 AM

how many pounds does a gallon of water weight?

How many pounds does a gallon of water weight? Have an old scale, wanted to see if its still acurate. I remember 128 ounces, wanted to run that by some of you guys.

Thanks

D

2 Piece 05-23-2004 09:23 AM

RE: how many pounds does a gallon of water weight?

Clean, fresh water, no chemicals or minerals weights appx. 8.345 pounds (US) per (US) gallon.
2 Piece

rmh 05-23-2004 09:35 AM

When we were testing glow fuel - we weighed each sample first .
then we boiled off some samples and we we compared new samples with pure alcohol.
It was quickly evident that the advertised nitro and oil contents were not -in some cases , as stated.-by a long shot.
a gallon of fuel weighed from 7 lbs to over 9 lbs -depending on what the porportions of alky/oil and nitro were in it.
If you want lighter water add alcohol.
(I'll take Jack Daniels )

ballgunner 05-23-2004 01:54 PM

2 piece got it right. Part of hydraulics discipline. Last I heard, when it was necessary for me to know that stuff, 1 gal. of ordinary tap water was 8.347 but who wants to quibble over .002?
Of course tap water has lots of unpure stuff in it. Where I live the water is so hard you almost don't have to freeze it to go ice skating.

XJet 05-23-2004 05:12 PM

Ah, the joys of the imperial system. An imperial gallon weighs in at 10lbs -- a nice round number.

For some reason, US gallons are smaller.

I've always wondered why the USA chose a smaller gallon -- after all, if they used an imperial one they'd get much better fuel economy (mpg) in their cars right? :-)

tailskid 05-23-2004 05:46 PM

Arizona has hard water???? So THAT is why my car get less MPH after I wash it :)

Jerry

feihu 06-08-2004 06:13 PM

There's an old saying " a pint a pound, the world around" - and used all over the world !

buchtes 06-08-2004 07:19 PM

feihu

a pint a pound??, may be?

1 liter, or 10cm x 10cm x 10cm cube of clean water weighs exactly 1 metric pound, plain and simple metric system.

Got to love it............................................

J_R 06-08-2004 07:29 PM

You made that up, right? a metric pound? That's an oxymoron

1 cubic centimeter of water, at it's triple point (where it exists as liquid, vapor, and solid at the same time), weighs one gram. 1000 grams is a kilogram.

I kilogram is 2.2 pounds

dr_wogz 06-09-2004 08:27 AM

2.2045lbs actually.
or 1 pound = .453Kg

Yes, teh joys of teh metric system, all based on 10. not 12 or 16.. :D

MinnFlyer 06-09-2004 09:46 AM

In this country, only illegal drug users know the metric system.

For those of you in third world nations, I guess you need SOMETHING to make life a little easier :D

SST 06-09-2004 10:49 AM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

In this country, only illegal drug users know the metric system.

For those of you in third world nations, I guess you need SOMETHING to make life a little easier :D
LOL...The 'antiquated' system everyone likes to trash has served us well. We've become the most powerful nation and the strongest economy on the planet one inch at a time...

And Doc, is 'teh' metric for 'the'?

dr_wogz 06-09-2004 10:54 AM

No, it's my dyslexic fingures. :D:D

When will computer people develope the 'beginner' keayboardw ith larger buttons, so's you don't end up hitting two or three at the same time!!

Apparently teh US is Metric, it's jsut not enforced or used.. or so I am told!

SST 06-09-2004 11:07 AM

You can't force people to use a system that the infrastructure doesn't exist for, or one they refuse to change to because it's inferior. I'm a toolmaker, and SAE sizes are not only what my machines are calibrated in (and noone's gonna buy a new lathe, mill or whatever, just to get a different calibration wheel), but my prints are drawn in and my tooling is measured in. On the odd occasion I do get a metric print, the first thing I must do is convert to SAE. Just because folks can use fingers and toes for an abbacus doesn't make the whole system superior, just different. The whole system is just the rest of the world insisting the US change to suit them for a change...Well guess what, that's what made us what we are, and will keep us who we are...The ability and the will to be what and who we wish to be.

MOJO65-9or10 06-09-2004 11:07 AM

Hey I'm American and I wish we would use the metric system. I have used both systems at work and man-O-man is the metric system easier to use. That boils down to less dumb mistakes. If we would switch I would be able to quite having to convert everything all the time.

1 mile = 5280 feet - who made that up?

Forever confused Dave

JNorton 06-09-2004 11:27 AM

I wish we would go metric also. By the way I'm in Automotive and all our prints are drawn in metric, with inches shown below in parentheses. SIGH.

Last I heard Uganda was one of the few nations still using inches. Nothing like keeping up with the rest of the world.
John

hookedonrc 06-09-2004 11:30 AM

I am sure NASA wishes there weren't two systems as indicated by the satellite that they forgot to convert, sending millions of dollars down in smoke.

doggscube 06-09-2004 11:39 AM

I'm in construction estimating and I hate it when I get a set of metric drawings. Used to be that all govt. jobs were metric, but they're finally giving up on it, apparently.

As Grandpa Simpson put it: "The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and I like it that way!"

SST 06-09-2004 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: JNorton

I wish we would go metric also. By the way I'm in Automotive and all our prints are drawn in metric, with inches shown below in parentheses. SIGH.

Last I heard Uganda was one of the few nations still using inches. Nothing like keeping up with the rest of the world.
John
Yeah? Automotive with who? My toolmaker job is with GM...And the machines in the plant that have to make those metric parts are 40 years old, and not likely to be replaced any time soon, and are in SAE. And I have to make the repair parts that keep those machines running. And who says metrics are a superior system? GM makes their cars metric because foreign markets demanded it. What good did it do? All it ever did for me was require me to buy a whole second set of tools.

JNorton 06-09-2004 03:09 PM

SST,
Ford and Chrysler mainly. Why the disbelief? I didn't say our machines were in metric either. Just the prints. The prints are dimensioned in metric but the parts were actually designed in English. Weird. My experience was basically with engine valve train components.

As to who says metric is a superior system, just the rest of the WORLD! That's all. Just my opinion, but it is a h*** of a lot easier working with metric tools than trying to find a 13/16th inch wrench or a 5/64 Allen wrench! Usually you work with odds or evens so it is easy to see the difference in sizes.

"GM makes their cars metric because foreign markets demanded it." Yeah try and go outside the US and find a 1/4-20 bolt. We need to be able to sell to the rest of the world to be able to compete. Or do you want what manufacturing plants that are left all to move to China?

Now before you think I'm a young sh** that knows no difference, I've been in Automotive for the last twenty years, am 53 years old, have 7 grandkids and drive a Dodge.

Jeesh!
John

buchtes 06-09-2004 05:04 PM

J_R

Whoopy, I screwed up, your right, it's 1 kg. Guess I've been away from good ol europe too long.
As far as the metric system beeing too easy, yes, thats why it has not been adapted here YET. Everything needs to be complicated, so the college boys can understand it. he,he,he.........

SST 06-09-2004 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: JNorton

Or do you want what manufacturing plants that are left all to move to China?

Metrics have nothing to do with manufacturing jobs moving to China. Buick City was rated as the finest quality assembly plant in the world the same year it was shut down...And after 27 1/2 years at GM my own job has been reduced because our products are moving to Australia and China, even though we have the lowest price-per part in the industry. I'll just be interested to see who the car companies are going to sell their products to when the entire country is selling burgers to one another for minimum wage.

The Ghost 06-10-2004 04:39 AM

Hi All
You all go on about the imperial and metric systems. I completed school in the imperial system and Australia changed over to the metric system but my employer stayed with the imperial system for a few years.Then I had to learn the metric system. Building models is still my pashion and I still build in imperial. Most balsa suppliers work in imperial so why change. Just my 2cents worth.

Cheers.

J_R 06-10-2004 10:29 AM

SAE is just like metric... if you have 12 or 16 fingers.

J_R 06-10-2004 10:58 AM

Come to think of it, for modeling, both systems suck.

Ever chuck up stock in a lathe and need to cut to 3/8 of an inch? How do you take it down to 3/8? 1/1024 inch at a time? Noooo! .001 at a time. Where is the logic?

Now, look at a 1.5 mm bolt. You drill and tap a hole. What do you wind up with? A hole with so little material left, that if you tighten it, the bolt removes what little material is left in the hole. Too many threads per cm.

Bah!