RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Fuel tank capacity (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/1881692-fuel-tank-capacity.html)

higheronnitro 06-07-2004 05:45 PM

Fuel tank capacity

Does anyone have a "rule of thumb" for calculation approx fuel consumption ie. 40 2 stroke uses X oz (cc) of fuel per minute at full throttle.. 1.20 4 stroke uses X oz(cc) of fuel per min? I realise that there are a lot of other factors ie altitude, prop, tuning etc but a rough idea would be better than none
I have a 1.44 ( 24 cc ) 2 stroke ( methanol ) and would like a guestimate size for a fuel tank for 15 mins flying ( I do use the throttle as an analogue control... ). I have to build the tank myself and would like to get it approximately correct.

Thanks and best regards Steve

Jim Thomerson 06-07-2004 06:14 PM

RE: Fuel tank capacity

If no one can answer your question, I would suggest building as large a tank as is practicable. If it is too large, you do not need to fill it up. If it is too small, you are stuck with it anyway.

Jim

higheronnitro 06-07-2004 10:20 PM

Hi Jim
You are right in most cases bigger is better. I have room to build a tank that will hold 1.2 Litres of fuel. The problem is that is a lot of weight and if I only fill half the tank there a lot of room wasted that could have been used to place servos, batteries etc further forward than currently planned. would 0.7 ltrs ( 24 oz ) be enough??? The alternative is to slap a prop on the engine and run it on the bench with a stopwatch.

Best regards Steve

TNRabbit 06-07-2004 11:11 PM

The fuel economy has a LOT to do with what nitro content you intend to use; higher nitro will adversely affect your fuel economy. If you decide to go the test run on a bench route, only check it after the engine is well broken in.

What 1.44 2stroke do you have? I'm sure someone with a similar engine can give you their fuel usage figures...

higheronnitro 06-08-2004 02:52 AM

Hello again
The engine in question is an
MVVS twin cylinder horizontally apposed ( boxer ) 2 stroke 23.5cc (1.44 ci)
The aircraft in question is a warbird so I will not be preforming 3D etc and the nitro will be low ie 5%

Regards Steve

Geistware 06-08-2004 07:51 AM

Why not put on a small take, run the engine at full RPM then do the calculation from there.
Seem like the easy thing to do.

ORIGINAL: higheronnitro

Does anyone have a "rule of thumb" for calculation approx fuel consumption ie. 40 2 stroke uses X oz (cc) of fuel per minute at full throttle.. 1.20 4 stroke uses X oz(cc) of fuel per min? I realise that there are a lot of other factors ie altitude, prop, tuning etc but a rough idea would be better than none
I have a 1.44 ( 24 cc ) 2 stroke ( methanol ) and would like a guestimate size for a fuel tank for 15 mins flying ( I do use the throttle as an analogue control... ). I have to build the tank myself and would like to get it approximately correct.

Thanks and best regards Steve