RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Two way radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/222945-two-way-radios.html)

denis 08-08-2002 08:46 PM

Two way radios

Is there a two way radio that works when you are in 8 feet high corn looking for an airplane ?

jetranger-RCU 08-08-2002 10:49 PM

raido

Are you looking for the Tx that goes in the fuse so you can locate a lost plane like the free flighters use or the hand held ones if it's the hand held go to Walmart they have some that work up to two miles 14 channels two for about $25 to $35 I have these so when camping I keep in touch with the kids

denis 08-08-2002 11:18 PM

Two way radios

Do they work when you are deep in 8 feet of corn. I have tried several radios and they work great untill you get into a corn field.

jmulder 08-09-2002 12:32 AM

Two way radios

The corn will be gone in a few weeks........

denis 08-09-2002 12:38 AM

Two way radios

Was hoping for serious info

Bruce L Prater 08-09-2002 01:35 AM

Two way radios

You have to pay for power output, my 5-watt radio was $600.oo. The corn must be so dense that the radios just can't get out. The cheaper radios are only 1/2-1 watt output.

jmulder 08-09-2002 01:51 AM

Two way radios

I apologize if I offended you. I wasn't trying to be funny. I was merely stating the fact that the corn will soon be gone and no longer a problem................John

BingoFlyer 08-09-2002 05:42 PM

Two way radios

jmulder
The problem with your answer is that when the corn is harvested the plane will be also.(a major rekitting)

jmulder 08-09-2002 08:49 PM

Two way radios

Just tell the guy picking it about it and tell him to look out for it. He should see it before he cuts it up with no problem....

denis 08-10-2002 12:47 AM

Two way radios

Let,s cancel these alternative solutions that i did not ask for.
Iasked for info on two way radios that would work in 8 feet tall corn, nothing else
Denis

BingoFlyer 08-10-2002 01:02 PM

Two way radios

Denis,

I don't know were you can find them (maybe a free flight site) but they use directional antennas on the reciever and a homing radio transmitter in the plane. I have used them in corn but it was using my own designed transmitter and receiver on the amateur band, friends did use radios they bought from a free flight supply. That has been about 20 years ago so I was reluctant to pass the info.

jmulder 08-10-2002 05:36 PM

Two way radios

Originally posted by denis
Let,s cancel these alternative solutions that i did not ask for.
Iasked for info on two way radios that would work in 8 feet tall corn, nothing else
Denis

I'm sorry for replying to your post. In the future I will remember not to repy to anything unless I have a direct and to the point answer.

BingoFlyer 08-11-2002 12:55 AM

Two way radios

Motorola!

pepito9 08-11-2002 06:22 AM

Two way radios

how about an extension to the antenna in the corn field?
so that the actual antenna is above the cornīs height?

a cheap piece of wood and a lomger cable might do....

diego

MikeL 08-11-2002 08:38 AM

Two way radios

You could always carry stepladders into the corn with you, and agree to climb up every 5 minutes or so. If you just need a signal to let someone know you've found it, a whistle might work.

Jmulder is right though, the corn will be gone soon and a farmer'll see it before it turns into corn flakes. An alternative is to lose the plane when the corn isn't so high, like late June.

cloudbuster-RCU 08-11-2002 01:49 PM

Two way radios

denis check this out

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXSZ87&P=7

This is an Air Alert Flight Pack Monitor used as a Low Voltage and Lost Aircraft Alarm on Radio Controlled Aircraft.

SgtMitchell 08-12-2002 03:26 AM

Two way radios

Originally posted by jmulder
Just tell the guy picking it about it and tell him to look out for it. He should see it before he cuts it up with no problem....

Could not have said it better myself!!
I would rather spend 15 minutes of my time talking with the farmer than spend a hundred bucks on a radio that I can't fly with.... :D

Volfy 08-12-2002 10:51 PM

Two way radios

I don't think denis is looking for anything RC airplane related. He seems to be asking about walkie talkie kind of 2-way radios, though I don't know for sure since he doesn't want to explain a bit more in detail and seems to takes offense when people guess wrong.

Okay, denis, if I guess you right, you've been trying those FRS type family radios, which are limited to 300mW max and are used primarily for moms to keep track of their kids in shopping malls. :) There are 5W personal communication radios that are frequency compatible with these FRS walkies, and it only involves filling out some paperwork and pay a nominal fee for a FCC licence.

But really, these VHF and UHF radios are line of sight only and don't do too well when you have too many obstructions. Why not try the good old CB radio? These days, they've fallen out of favor but die hards and truckers are still keeping it alive. You can pick up a full 5watt CB walkie talkie for less than $60. Get one with the center-loaded long whip antenna and you can easily talk up to a mile or so.

Then again, if none of what I just said fits what you're asking for, well, pardon me to not being able to read your mind very good. :)

denis 08-13-2002 03:33 AM

Two way radios

Look all you members, i do not know how much clearer i good ask the question. Go back to post # 1. if you do not know of a two way radio that works in a corn field fine, but if you do i would appreciate the info.
Thank You
Denis

DSJBEAN 08-13-2002 10:30 AM

Two way radios

I have a set of Radio Shack 2 way radios that I use for hunting with my son. I hgave used them when hunting pheasant in a corn fiedl and they worked hjust fine. I have also had them used in a cave where the worked also.. I don't have the specific model number now but I believe they were only $39 each and they have a range of approx 2 miles. I keep them in the tuck and take to the field in the event we need to wander into the woods to look for a plane so we can keep in touch.

sswagerty 08-13-2002 11:51 AM

Finding models in corn

After many years of serious model rocket flying ... most of us used a unit made by walston. He is a free flighter, but many people use his radio detection finders. The are pricey, but so are our models. He has ads in most of the magazines

rsallen13 08-13-2002 01:12 PM

Two way radios

Only because "Denis'" replys force me to do this.

Two cans and a really longgggggggg string! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

denis 08-13-2002 07:43 PM

Two way radios

Thanks
Denis

C_Watkins 08-13-2002 08:20 PM

Hmmm...

The CB handy talkies are your best bet, if you don't want to spend a fortune.

You could get serious and buy some commercial 2-ways.
Motorola can help you there. Bring a big fat check and a dumb look. They love it.

You could also get your ham radio license and purchase a couple of 2meter HT's.
(Yaesu and Icom appreciate fat checks better than Motorola, even)

These all qualify as "two-way radios", so hopefully that will meet the
very strict criteria you've placed on people volunteering to help you here.

As for whether they'll work in YOUR particular cornfield? No way to tell but try.
Speaking from experience, they "should".
(The CB band will probably give you the best shot, based on the wavelength)

As for anything else you'll find in the local dept store or Radio Shack, don't bother.

You're gonna need something more than 250-500milliwatt range consumer grade stuff.

denis 08-13-2002 09:15 PM

Two way radios

Thank You for the info
Denis