RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Insurance for airplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/2763870-insurance-airplanes.html)

3D Flyer 03-14-2005 12:49 PM

Insurance for airplanes

I just had a conversation with my insurance agent about the coverage
I have on the planes in my basement and there is only $2,500 worth of coverage
for hobby related things if my house burns down. They say I would need to have
an appraiser come out to appraise my planes and equipment to get a special rider
put on my homeowners policy.

This seems like such a pain to get insurance coverage. Not sure how much I have
invested in my basement in RC planes but I am sure its over $2,500.

Any suggestions?

seanreit 03-14-2005 12:52 PM

RE: Insurance for airplanes

Check what the "personal property" limits are. It should be a lot higher and does cover your stuff.

FLYBOY 03-14-2005 02:22 PM

Mine covers up to $150,000 in contents. Doesn't specify hobby. The only problem is I have a lot of duplicate kits, and many are not replaceable. That would create a problem.

piper_chuck 03-14-2005 05:43 PM

Y'all need to read your policy CLOSELY. I'm not saying you don't have unlimited hobby coverage, up to the content coverage, but most policies do have limits such as the OP wrote about. You may have $150,000 for contents, but the odds are good that you will find limitations on things like jewelery, stamp or coin collections, etc.

seanreit 03-14-2005 05:45 PM

They have to specifically exclude. I know of no policy that specifically excludes RC airplanes. That being said, it's a one time deal, expect to see it excluded from future policies. The insurance companies are not dumb to this stuff. I know, as I had a $6k airplane claim two summers ago, and I am not covered now.

FLYBOY 03-14-2005 06:37 PM

Kinda like my flood coverage that was required by the bank. I live on top of the mountain. If I get flooded, the rest of the town is toast.
[X(]

piper_chuck 03-14-2005 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

Kinda like my flood coverage that was required by the bank. I live on top of the mountain. If I get flooded, the rest of the town is toast.
Guess the bank is worried they're going to trash your house trying to get away from the water. :D

donmcgowan 11-12-2005 05:06 PM

If your agent doubts your coverage then so should you. Or - it won't matter if you don't have a fire - take your choice - get a rider or take your chances - the few dollars it would cost to add a rider might be the best hobby dollars you ever spent.

50+AirYears 11-12-2005 11:04 PM

In 1994, I came home late from our club's annual public flying demonstration, and figured I'd empty my car out the next morning. Apparently, left one door unlocked. Next morning, car was almost empty.
Checked with my homeowners, wasn't given a lot of hope. Also called AMA, was told that if I had a police report showing B&E, document my losses and send the documentation in with a copy or the police report, but to check with my auto insurance first.
Took a copy of the report and documentation to my auto insurance agent. The documentation consisted of pictures of the planes, a list of the transmitters with serial numbers, Engines, and some flightline tools and equipment, and copies of latest catalog pages showing the replacement prices. Also statements that some of the missing merchandise was either no longer available, or scratch built, and had prices of materials or of equivalent kits.
Claim was for $2600. Was told that the company's normal procedure was to provide an initial partial payment, then to make further payments on receipt of proof of replacement costs until the claim amount minus the deductable was paid out, but since I had detailed documentation, was asked to come back in about 2 hours. I did, and was handed a check for $2350. Having good documentation with photos matching catalog pages simplified things for them, so they simplified things for me. Also, at that time, some homeowner's companies were starting to blacklist people for submitting claims. I have heard on the Clark Howard program that nowadays, some companies may cut you out for even making an inquiry that hints you might be putting in a claim. Or at least recalculating your premiums.

red head 11-14-2005 04:33 PM

What do you think our chances are in Florida, La, and Miss ?? H--- some of us can't even get good insurance for the house let alone our hobby. ENJOY !!! RED

I used to complain that my feet hurt, then I met a man with no feet.