RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   SUMMER / WINTER RADIO FREQUENCIES (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3447547-summer-winter-radio-frequencies.html)

EF 10-12-2005 07:17 AM

SUMMER / WINTER RADIO FREQUENCIES

I heard about it somewhere but am not sure whether it was serious or just a joke:
Is there any difference between frequencies "recommended" for hot summer weather vs. for cold winter weather?

rcmiket 10-12-2005 09:33 AM

RE: SUMMER / WINTER RADIO FREQUENCIES

I think this is the same as " changing your air in your tires from summer to winter air" Never heard of this one. Mike

EF 10-12-2005 11:18 AM

well since I know there's a difference in radio communications when using low frequencies, between day and night (something to do with the layers in the atmosphere changing density a bit or something like that), I laughed at first but then thought about it even though there may only be something theoretical behind this, and of no real practical use, it still sounded interesting in case there was something in it.

Scar 10-12-2005 11:39 AM

Check with the person you heard this from. If it's a club specific thing, there may be a good story about certain members who fly in cold weather and others who fly in hot weather.

Otherwise, I'm not anticipating you'll find much, for the common RC air frequencies.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

sbd-5 10-12-2005 12:42 PM

in 35 years of flying r/c never heard of this.i have heard at some fields a certain frequency may have a problem either due to a radio/communications tower etc, but anythig is possible.

staggerwing 10-12-2005 02:20 PM

It is true, even at the 72 mhz frequencies, that there is the possibility of "skip" caused by the changes in the ionosphere. It more of a daytime, nighttime thing, not summer, winter. However, for the distances and powerlevel that RC transmitters operate, it will not affect normal RC operation. So in essence the operation of your RC system will not change from summer to winter.

Rich

AD9V

--------------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31

2slow2matter 10-12-2005 02:31 PM

Skip wouldn't matter, since we fly well below the ionosphere. I'd say it doesn't matter.

dr_wogz 10-12-2005 03:48 PM

Uhm, there is a difference.

Having flown in a few winters, here's my bit:

You need to buy a winter radio. Some come equipped with hand warmers, a neck-strap that doubles as a scarf, bigger sticks to handle mitts / gloves. A quality 'winter radio' comes with a tankard holding 'spirits' to warm the soul (a la 'swiss mountin rescue dog).

:D:D:D:D

No, no difference. Less battery charge maybe...