RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Best method for Storing CA? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3538097-best-method-storing-ca.html)

TLH101 11-09-2005 10:49 PM

Best method for Storing CA?

What is the best way to store CA? Fridge or Freezer? Or does it matter?

camss69 11-09-2005 11:17 PM

RE: Best method for Storing CA?

Put the lid on and put it in the fridge.... never heard anyone putting it in the freezer.

LesUyeda 11-10-2005 10:14 AM

Colder is better. I buy mine in the large container, fill small containers from it, and keep the rest in the freezer. In the days when CA first came out as Eastman 910, it was kept in the same containewithas the dry ice.

Les

Geistware 11-10-2005 10:59 AM

SO you want to slow down the volatiles in the mixture?

dicknadine 11-10-2005 11:40 AM

Buy it in 8 oz bottles from Lone Star, refill your empty 1 oz bottle. put the rest in the freezer till you need to refill the little bottle again. works perfect. also saves lots of $$$. dick

Scar 11-10-2005 12:59 PM

If you can plan it, just buy what you need for the month.

I haven't had much luck storing CA, it sits there longer than intended. I've started a "buy it, use it, toss the container" CA program in my workshop.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

FLYBOY 11-10-2005 05:30 PM

I freeze it till I open it, then leave it on the bench. If it is going to be open for long times, put it in the fridge. It stores great in the freezer till you open it.

WILDCRASHWILLY 11-10-2005 05:50 PM

I have stored mine in the Freezer and the Fridge having good results both ways. IMHO if it has to keep for three or four months, store it in the freezer. If only storing for 3 or 4 weeks store it in the crisper of the fridge. Just be sure the wife understands this IS NOT SALAD OIL! ... Ha...Ha...

Rcpilot 11-10-2005 11:02 PM

ORIGINAL: dicknadine

Buy it in 8 oz bottles from Lone Star, refill your empty 1 oz bottle. put the rest in the freezer till you need to refill the little bottle again. works perfect. also saves lots of $$$. dick
This is what I do. But, I store it in the fridge instead of the freezer. I've kept 8oz refill bottles in the fridge for over a year--AFTER I opened them for that first refill on the 1oz bottle. Still works great.

Depending on my projects--I will use an 8oz bottle in 6months or up to 18 months. Never had a problem keeping it in the fridge.

I wonder if you filled the air space with nitrogen or Co2 if it would help to keep the glue from curing? I think it's the o2 in the air that makes it cure--so if you could displace the o2 with an inert gas--maybe it would extend the shelf life????????[:-]

kdheath 11-11-2005 01:01 PM

I wonder if you filled the air space with nitrogen or Co2 if it would help to keep the glue from curing? I think it's the o2 in the air that makes it cure--so if you could displace the o2 with an inert gas--maybe it would extend the shelf life????????[:-]
[/quote]

It's the moisture in the air or substrate that fires CA. Put a drop on a piece of metal some time. It takes forever to cure. I expect that inert gas would extend storage, but only if it was dry, too. The freeezer is handy and doesn't cost any extra.

red head 11-11-2005 06:32 PM

Making sure the cap is on tight helps. Storing in the frig also helps but keeping that cap on tight is a must. ENJOY !!! RED