RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Hanging planes from ceiling??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4009181-hanging-planes-ceiling.html)

adstott 03-08-2006 07:39 PM

Hanging planes from ceiling???

I'm looking for a better way to store my planes besides letting them sit on the floor of the basement. I've been to a few of my buddies houses and they have their planes hanging from the ceiling with the horizontal stab bearing all of the weight. Does anyone else here do this? I'm not woried about marking up the stab as much as I'm worried about the stress on the stab. I've thought about using the shelving system that attaches to the wall but wall space is a premium in my basement.

Thanks,
Andy

campbec 03-08-2006 08:13 PM

RE: Hanging planes from ceiling???

Hi Andy,

If the bearers and joists are exposed it is very easy to use old car seat belts to support the models just forward of the wing and a second strap with seat belt buckle just forward of the horizontal stab. I use coach bolts to secure the belts to the bearers in my garage. Obviously if there is a ceiling you will need a stud finder or educated tap. This gets the models off the floor and in my case allows the cars to be parked underneath the models without risk to either.

Cheers,

Colin

bipeaddict 03-08-2006 08:25 PM

I use a single large eye-bolt into truss. I then have two 4 foot bungee cords with hooks on the end. When hooked into the eye-bolt it forms two loops. I have pipe insulation around the bungee cords. These two loops support a fully assembled plane be looping under the fuseloge in front of the wing and after the wing. Works well for me. You can vary the length of the bungees to support different size airplanes.

mnrcaerobat 03-08-2006 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my planes. I use bike hooks and a piece of string on the tail. I just run a drywall screw in part way, wrap the string around it twice and put the screw in without stripping the hole out.

JohnBuckner 03-09-2006 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is simple hanger that I use for the ones I wish to hang assembled. Its just quarter inch iron rod, very cheap and can be bent to shape with a vice and your hands. the legs have cheap tubing pulled on for protection.

John

adstott 03-09-2006 10:07 AM

Thanks for the replies. Very inventive John.

I like the bungee cord and pipe insulation idea, I might give that a try.

Dauntae 03-09-2006 05:39 PM

actually your better off hanging them from the prop, If the propshart can handle all the power of pulling the plane when flying is surely can handle hanging from the prop, Besides hanging it nose down can make a mess if there is any fuel left in the tank for whatever reason and any moisture will end up in the bearings and lead to trouble.

Just my $.02
Dauntae