RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Engine Mount (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4030757-engine-mount.html)

Rod Bender 03-13-2006 09:55 PM

Engine Mount

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,

I posted this after lunch....somewhere, but I cannot find it now, tried a search, and still couldn't find it. Anyhow, I got an arf I'm working on, and it came with a ply motor mount. The very vague instructions say to just drill 4 holes and install the motor. No problem, but this would designate this engine to that plane exclusively. My other plane has an aluminum engine mount that goes over your engines mount surface, and you just tighten it down, virtually any engine can be mounted with the same mount. Is there something I can do with this mount to achieve the same thing? I've tried doing searches at Tower for the mount style I have on my other plane, but could not find it... Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance, Greg

w8ye 03-13-2006 10:10 PM

RE: Engine Mount

Use it like it is at first. The plane may not out last your first engine?

In the future if you want another engine, Make yourself a hard plywood plate with the new bolt pattern to fit over this plate with bolts over in the corners.

This mount could be Dremeled away and a new universal mount attached to the firewall?

Enjoy,

Jim

da Rock 03-13-2006 10:32 PM

You've got the design concept with that mount you describe. Simply duplicate it. Look for some metal at any local home improvement store. A hacksaw, file, and drill will turn the raw material into that same design, but for the new model and it's sizes.

I think it's SuperTigre who has the mount you describe. But it's based on it's own mount isn't it? Nothing about the "underneath" is critical to the design such that you'd need anything more than the plywood base that's in the model and some metal from the home improvement store.

BTW, if you're just beginning in this hobby, don't worry about it. You're going to "wear out" the model way before you're going to want to run a different engine on it. Drill that trainer

Rod Bender 03-14-2006 03:45 AM

Thanks DaRock,

That was my thoughts as well, and that’s what I'm going to do. I will make the motor brace mount out of whatever, and drill the holes for that in the ply and nylon nuts on the bottom. This way I can mount an engine, and just tighten it down, I might even put a thin piece of metal\alum on the top piece of ply so that the motor does not indent the ply when I tight it down with the mount. I'd show a pic of the other engine mount, but it's all assembled and I'd have to pull the motor to take the pic. I will have to do this anyway in a few days as I want that engine in this new plane, I'll shoot a pic and post that when I pull it.

Jim, It's been over 16yrs, but I'm not planning on crashing, but then again who does? lol ... Greg

cdale03 03-14-2006 11:01 PM

Rod Bender I think this is the kind of mount your looking for Hobbico [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL208&P=7[/link] but like was said earlier I would just make my own..

jlank 03-14-2006 11:02 PM

Is this what you're looking for? http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN40M

Joel

Rod Bender 03-15-2006 01:52 AM

CDale03 & Joel,

Both or either is basically what I'm looking for. BUT, all I want to do is take the hardware and use it on the ply engine mount. Joel, in your link, it shows the alum firewall engine mount, then the bag of fasteners and screws. THAT is all I am really looking for. If I go with either mount design entirely, I would have to cut\dremel the existing ply mount out, something I'd rather not do. It's late, and I've had a very long day. I'll look at those two links and see if I can just get the hardware portion of those mount sets and go that route ..... Thanks for your feedback guys ... Greg

BillS 03-15-2006 07:11 AM

Nothing is permanent. You can always plug and drill new holes.

Trainers get bumped up and damaged during the process of having fun. Consider changing the design while repairing the inevitable and hopefully minor ground contact.

Bill

MinnFlyer 03-15-2006 10:08 AM

Ditto to what Bill said.

Just drill and mount.

If you ever decide to make a change, plug the holes with a piece of dowel and epoxy, and re-drill them

Rod Bender 03-15-2006 12:45 PM

Well, given my options, and the input from our Senior advisors.......I'm gonna drill em out as mentioned ... Thanks, Greg

Rod Bender 03-20-2006 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, Time to beat the drum again. I'm done with all my trim monokote (Thank God), have completed the servo mounting in the wing for the ailerons, and am now ready to mount the engine. As suggested above, I went to install the engine (Its been on another plane until now) and the ply mounting is about 1/4" below what I need for clearance for the muffler, needle valve, and idle\throttle adjust. My options are A: Cut the engine side cowls for all 3 mentioned, or B/my thought: Raise the engine mount 1/4" to give the needed clearance for all 3 mentioned. Question is, by raising this for clearance, am I asking for trouble in performance or handling, or is this in a ballpark that’s doable? Some shots............ Thanks in advance, Greg

MinnFlyer 03-20-2006 04:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just cut away part of the cheek to allow the muffler and needle valve to stick out. Then fuel-proof the newly exposed wood

w8ye 03-20-2006 11:18 PM

To raise the engine 1/4" will make little difference in the way the plane flies. It'll be like adding a little down thrust to the engine when it was at the intended height.

Enjoy,

Jim

Mike Baldwin 03-20-2006 11:33 PM

I had the same problem when I mounted my Magnum 70 RFS on my Tower 60 trainer. I cut out an opening to alow for the needle valve. The only proplem is when I put the plane in last year, the impact shoved the fire wall back and breaking off the needle valve in the nice little opening I cut for it. $45.00 for a new carb. With the way your engine is being mounted maybe this is less like to happen, just food for thought.