RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   MIG 27 drone C/G (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4108911-mig-27-drone-c-g.html)

muzzlemaggot 03-31-2006 08:51 PM

MIG 27 drone C/G

Hello to all. I've recently acquired a new, unassembled Carl Goldberg MIG 27 drone. However, no instructions were included and was curious to know if anyone out there with experience with one of these knew where the center of gravity might be. I've researched a few sources and websites, but to no avail. I do have extensive experience flying several of these for the Army, but have never assembled one from scratch and I know from past experience how detrimental the C/G can be for optimal performance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and responses, Brian

Tall Paul 03-31-2006 09:25 PM

RE: MIG 27 drone C/G

Do these things have the wings extended or swept back?
The c.g. will be different for each configuration.
Got a top view?

muzzlemaggot 03-31-2006 10:03 PM

I wouldn't necessarily call it a swept-back configuration, although it gives a slight "appearance" of such. The trailing edge of the wing is in fact perpendicular to the fuse. The model in question is the old styrofoam MIG 27 drone often used for aerial targeting, designed for a .61 although I plan to upgrade slightly to a .75. I've always heard and read in the past that 1/3 of the wing chord is generally a safe guideline for the CG when in doubt, but hoping someone out there has something more definitive for better results. I don't have any pics of the plane, although many members here on RCU have posted theirs. Awaiting responses....thanks for your replies, Brian

Artillery, the King of Battle

Tall Paul 04-01-2006 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a starting point...
scale your inches to these pixels..

Bax 04-03-2006 01:46 PM

With that airplane, all the locations for the radio and fuel tank are molded into it. If you put the radio in its pocket, the fuel tank in its pocket, and use almost any .60/.61-size engine, don't worry about it. The balance will be close enough that you'll have no problem flying the airplane.

If you're adding mods, such as landing gear, or other fancy stuff, then the instructions will have to be tracked down.

I flew one shortly after the version made by RS came out (Pre-Goldberg). You just stuck in the radio, fuel tank, and engine, then flew.

Remember, the original design was used as a gun target by the U.S. Army. Components had to be swapped around very quickly, and time could not be taken to carefully balance the model.

muzzlemaggot 04-04-2006 09:54 AM

Thanks for the replies thus far. Yes, I do plan to add trike gear to the aircraft. I have flown several of these for the Army in the past, but never had to assemble or balance them. This one if for my private use, and I'd like to make sure it's "right". Does anyone know where to obtain a copy of the instructions? V/R, Brian

Bax 04-04-2006 04:41 PM

Send an email to me. The person who was once head of the project at Goldberg, and who worked with the drones now works with us. He may be able to give you the info you need. He may even have one of the kits with instructions, and be able to get a photocopy to you. Please email me at the addy below.

muzzlemaggot 04-06-2006 08:24 AM

Bill,

I sent you an email. Let me know what you think. Thanks,

Brian

Kmot 04-06-2006 12:47 PM

Is it possible to obtain one of these kits somewhere?

muzzlemaggot 04-06-2006 04:08 PM

I got it off ebay a while back. Someone had 49 of them available. I think it was "equipmentparts & sales" as user. I'll double check

Kmot 04-06-2006 06:37 PM

I found it! Thanks! [sm=thumbup.gif]

BIGMIG 05-02-2007 09:36 PM

Thats the place, he has a bunch of them.and cheap also.----$30.00 each