RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Bore Bigger Hole in Carbon Fiber Tube? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4110302-bore-bigger-hole-carbon-fiber-tube.html)

Mods-R-Me 04-01-2006 05:34 AM

Bore Bigger Hole in Carbon Fiber Tube?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having a hard time find a carbon fiber tube with the inner diameter that I am looking for. I want to use it as a guide tube for the full flying stab I'm building for my SU-27. Would it be possible to buy the closest smaller size and just bore a bigger diameter hole in it without destroying the CF Tube. Here's a pic that I got off another post that describes what I'm referring to.

Thanks,

Mods

agexpert 04-01-2006 10:26 AM

RE: Bore Bigger Hole in Carbon Fiber Tube?

That sure is a pricey way to make a guide-tube. I am assuming that this will not be structural, and just an inner sleeve for insertion of the structural support. If that is what you mean, abandon the idea and make a paper tube and harden it with thin epoxy. You could use any tube with the proper outer diameter as a mold.

Having worked with CF a little bit, I don't think there is any way to ream that tube, especially it's full length, reliably. If you managed to do it, I think you would be disappointed in the result. Again, I am reading your post to say that this tube will not need to be structural support, only a tube between structural, (balsa or ply), supports in the airframe to allow insertion of perhaps another CF tube.

Sorry if I am mis-reading your post. It's early here....and raining...no flying...[&o][&o][&o]

TLH101 04-01-2006 11:04 AM

Maybe something that your local machine shop could do, however, if you don't have "friend" there, it may pricey.

khodges 04-01-2006 06:30 PM

Why not use aluminum for the guide tube, and use the carbon tube as the structural attachment for the H.stab? Use an aluminum tube just larger than the O.D. of the carbon one. I have found that carbon tubes, whether extruded or woven, tend to shred when you cut or drill them parallel to the fibers, but do okay when cut or drilled perpendicular to the fibers.

Mods-R-Me 04-02-2006 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: khodges

Why not use aluminum for the guide tube, and use the carbon tube as the structural attachment for the H.stab? Use an aluminum tube just larger than the O.D. of the carbon one. I have found that carbon tubes, whether extruded or woven, tend to shred when you cut or drill them parallel to the fibers, but do okay when cut or drilled perpendicular to the fibers.
The plane I'm building will have a Jet 90L pulling it to at least 100mph. I need the glide tube and control rod to fit snugly with minimal slop. I intend to operate the elevon by attaching a control horn made from a wheel collar (see picture). That's why I wanted to use metal.

Can I screw a wheel collar into a carbon fiber rod with out damaging it?