RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   How do you store your planes? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4148543-how-do-you-store-your-planes.html)

tuwood 04-10-2006 04:26 PM

How do you store your planes?

OK, I've finally hit that point. My wife is yelling at me because I have too many planes sitting on the garage floor. :D Plus, now that summer is arriving the kid's will surely destroy one of them if I leave them on the ground.

I want to put in some kind of wall or ceiling storage for my planes, but was curious to what the more addicted (uh, i mean experienced) r/c'ers out there are doing. Any pictures would be appreciated.

rcmiket 04-10-2006 04:41 PM

RE: How do you store your planes?

1 Attachment(s)
This not buy any means perfect but this is how I deal with the mess. Since I've done this I have at least twice the room along the wall ( no picture ) to build and maintain. Since this picture I obtained a great deal on the !/4 G.P Patty Wagstaff that also fits. Hope this helps.

delman 04-10-2006 06:06 PM

Here is how I put mine above the car and bikes.
http://home.comcast.net/~rcpersons1/airplaneholder.jpg

redfox435cat 04-10-2006 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well this is one of my racks all 1 " PVC screwed to the wall with drywall anchores

tuwood 04-10-2006 07:33 PM

I see that everyone's using PVC to make custom hangers. I was originally looking at some of the shelf material at Lowes & it was going to cost quite a bit. I'm guessing PVC will be a lot cheaper. :)

Matt14x 04-10-2006 11:27 PM

I hang my birds by the tail nose down. This allows what little oil thats left from running to seep down into the thrust bearing.

Matt

CP140 04-13-2006 10:53 AM

Short term storage for me is a series of stacking cradles made out of PVC for the fuselages and shelf brackets on the wall for the wings..... for long term storage, I use the tops of the #&$^&%@%$#($( trees at the field. [:@]

Hotchki 10-17-2006 08:23 PM

could you share rough dimensions for your racks? looks like we have a similar collection. Thanks Bob

rajul 10-18-2006 03:22 AM

I bought a few of the Dubro racks, and they work pretty well.

scratchonly 10-18-2006 03:53 PM

If you have wall space; use a piece of hardwood about 8 inchs long by about 2 inches wide. Bore holes and glue in 1/2 inch dowel about 10 inches long about an inch from the ends. Pad the dowels with water pipe insulation and screw to a stud with 2 screws. Hang the plane by the tail. You can vary the height of every other one to get planes closer together. Works for me.

flatspins1 10-18-2006 07:53 PM

I screwed a metal curtain rail to the rafters at the end of the garage.
I then hang the models from it by the prop using a loop of rope.
You can get half a dozen models stored out of the way at the back of the garage, and it takes up so little space.
I then nailed 2 lengths of the rope to the rafters(along the length of the garage) about 3 feet apart.
You can then easily slide the wings on to them, keeping them safley out of the way as well.

Charlie P. 10-18-2006 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: CP140

Short term storage for me is a series of stacking cradles made out of PVC for the fuselages and shelf brackets on the wall for the wings..... for long term storage, I use the tops of the #&$^&%@%$#($( trees at the field. [:@]
I was going to say in plastic garbage bags - labeled so I know what the pieces were from. :)

I have a big cellar and a dedicated charging area with a couple tables (plywood on sawhorses) where I set my planes - wings stored on foam covered dowel racks under the table. If I have time I make a stand for each fuselage; which means I buy Robart Super Stands and use those.

http://www2.gpmd.com/image/r/robp1402.jpg

delman 10-18-2006 08:08 PM

The riser pipes hang down in total length of 26 in, fuselage supports are 24-26 in nose to tail support and 14-16 in total for wing and fuselage [8+8] using 1/2 in plastic pipe - thick wall is better but thin wall is okay for up to 60 size.

agexpert 10-18-2006 09:23 PM

Um,

Just so you guys know, this thread was started and ended in APRIL. Someone dug it up and responded to a months-old post, again.

BUT, I store my planes in my garage on shelves before I fly them AND THEN I store them in one or more small plastic bags, after I fly them. Works GREAT!