RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Royal Air 40t (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4383701-royal-air-40t.html)

s0boy1 06-12-2006 09:18 PM

Royal Air 40t

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everybody.

I have an old Royal Air 40t trainer that was hanging in my dad's garage for years. The engine has been ran but we never actually flew it. Sometime over the years the tail got a little rip, but besides that I beleave it is still in good shape. I'm looking to sell it so that somebody can actually use it.

My question is this:
What is a fair asking price for this plane? I'm going to sell the controler, starter, glow plug, fuel pump and power panel with the plane.

There are picture of the plane attached. If somebody could help me out I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

fokker20planes 06-13-2006 08:07 AM

RE: Royal Air 40t

Here's my 2 cents worth. The Royal Air kits flew pretty good but were not very durable. The rip in the covering does not look hard to repair. The engine will be questionable as it has been exposed to the air for all those years. It could have some corrosion problems. The radio is also on the old side and I don't know if it would meet todays standards or not. The nicads definitely need to be replaced. Most of the flight box stuff probably still works so that has some value. So what's it's value? I will ball park between 100 and 150 dollars but this is only a guess. If it were me I would put it up for auction for $9.99 and let the market tell me what it is worth.

cwrr5 06-13-2006 08:30 AM

Hey! I haven't seen one of those in years!

That's what my first (r/c) plane was. :)

Contact one of the clubs in your area, I'm sure somebody will buy it from you. It looks like it's in good shape from the pictures, but after sitting for a while, will probably need some minor maintenance to get flyable again.

Rod Bender 06-13-2006 08:31 AM

I still have my Royal Air 20T that I flew in the early 80's. I flew the pants off that plane, and it loved it. Very easy to fly, color scheme was good. Your radio is older, and the engine sitting out in the open ..... not the best thing, but if you take the engine off, take the glo plug out, and hand work some KROIL OIL into it over and over, it will clean all that corrosion crud out.

I hung up my planes up about 10yrs ago, and just this past Jan pulled them out of storage. I bought new radio equipment, but the Super Tigre cleaned up, and runs fine, and the Royal Air was back in the air in early March. I only did about 6 flights on it to see where my hands were, and its back in the garage hanging up.

I think Tom's pricing is a pretty fair assessment. IF you were to sell it here or on Ebay, you would get some action. But the shipping would be really expensive. Probably 40 just for the plane IF you could find a box that big.

Good Luck, Greg

s0boy1 06-14-2006 11:54 AM

Ok thanks to all of you for your input.

I guess I was thinking it was worth more, but if thats all it is worth on the market I guess I'll keep and see if I can get it in the air.

So now my question is what would I need to do to get it ready to fly??

Rod Bender 06-14-2006 12:27 PM

With that old of radio, and having it sitting for years, you need to either send it in to be checked out OR just drop some money and buy a new 4 or 6 channel system. If you plan on flying, get the 6ch. It leaves you more options down the road. I picked up a brand new Futaba 6ch with servos, batteries, switch, receiver for $100 off of Ebay. Fully programable.

Take that engine off the plane and find some of that KROIL OIL, take out the plug and spray some in the carb port, and the glow port and turn it over by hand repeatedly, both directions. Drain the oil out by tilting it whichever direction needed to do so. Spray it and do it again, over and over till the oil coming out is CLEAN.

This is some incredible stuff, like I said, my engine sat for 10yrs, I cleaned it like I mentioned, and it fired right up and ran perfect.

Good Luck, Greg

20vturbo 10-07-2006 10:55 AM

I have this exact plane but it isnt put together yet and I dont have the instructions. Does anyone know where I can get aother copy? I am itching to fly it! :) thanks!

fishingnuts 10-27-2006 03:27 PM

Have you found the plans for the Royal Air yet??

20vturbo 10-27-2006 07:24 PM

no :( and the company doesnt seem to be around anymore :(

fishingnuts 10-27-2006 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a complete contruction guide for the Royal-Air. Its 47 pages, if you email me you address I will make copies of it and mail it to you. Unless your interested in selling the kit?
I've rebuilt mine several times after crashing it and it being to look pretty rough.

20vturbo 10-27-2006 10:49 PM

that would be so awesome! PM sent! thank you so much! :)

kevinjt4 01-28-2019 08:11 AM

Not sure if you are still on this site, but do you still have access to copies of this Royal 40T manual?