RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Dynathrust props (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4867448-dynathrust-props.html)

air mail rcu 10-14-2006 03:40 PM

Dynathrust props

Hi, Does anyone know if they are still in business? I go to their web site and it does not come up. I always thought they had a pretty good product.

Thanks
Terry

Norm Nestie 10-14-2006 05:23 PM

RE: Dynathrust props

Try www.greathobbies.com

Tall Paul 10-14-2006 06:16 PM

The Dynathrust props I've seen in use would be better as tent pegs or paint stirrers.
There is something seriously wrong with their design.
Master Airscrew, APC, Zinger are far better props.

air mail rcu 10-14-2006 09:28 PM

Norm, Thanks for the web site.

Tall Paul, What makes you say that about Dynathrust props? I only used one of their props on a gas engine a few years ago and it seemed to work fine. I did notice that the edges are not as sharp as most props. The balance seems to be very good.

khodges 10-14-2006 10:08 PM

I've used a 20-6 Dynathrust on a US-41 with good results and have a 22-8 waiting to go on my BirdDog/ZDZ-50. I don't see anything wrong with them, but several of the guys at our field call them "DynaBust". They're awfully heavy, but the one I've used has pretty good performance.

jaka 10-15-2006 10:59 AM

Hi!
I have sen too many of those loosing a blade in flight.
Use a Menz if you want a good, inexpensive, large prop.
Regards!
Jan K

Jim Messer 10-15-2006 11:14 AM

Several years ago, I ran a giant scale model business. I sold Dynathrust props, and in the 20/22 inch range, there were several instances of props throwing blades in flight. Consequently, I stopped selling them. The High Flight magazine once published a warning article about these failures, and advised everyone to stop using them. That's the only time I have ever seen such a publication, and if push came to shove, I could find the article as I still have those old magazines stored in boxes.

One of my club members had one throw a blade in a Yellow Aircraft AT-6, and it rattled the aircraft into pieces before it crashed.

There is no way I would use a Dynathrust prop on any of my models, nor would I stand close to any other model using one. I speak from experience.

Tall Paul 10-15-2006 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: air mail rcu

Norm, Thanks for the web site.

Tall Paul, What makes you say that about Dynathrust props? I only used one of their props on a gas engine a few years ago and it seemed to work fine. I did notice that the edges are not as sharp as most props. The balance seems to be very good.
See Jim's note.
And the Dynathrusts I've seen have an unusual pitch distribution.. almost no reduction in physical pitch along the blade.
Normal props have the outer sections twisted down to accomodate the faster speed requiring less physical pitch out from the hub.
The D-Ts looked almost like clubs.. something I carved out of a pine stick 50 years ago when I really really needed a prop, but didn't have the 25 cents to buy one.
And changing from a D-T to any other brand instantly improved the motor's performance.