RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   KlassKote Users (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4889629-klasskote-users.html)

Hughes500E 10-19-2006 06:35 PM

KlassKote Users

I am going to finish my next model with KlassKote Epoxy Paint.
I am covering my model with Super Coverite. Going by your own experience, should I use a white primer then a white paint and clear or, should I just spray the white and wax her :D

Your input is appreciated!
As always weight is a factor but quality has to be high!

Thanx

R8893 10-19-2006 07:00 PM

RE: KlassKote Users

I've used KlassKote, K&B, and HobbyPoxy interchangably. Over polyester fabric I have used a coat of nitrate dope first. I suggest you do an adhesion test of paint on the bare fabric. The paint itself should be pretty shiny; most of my finishes are flat military schemes. I once rubbed out a K&B white finish on a Kaos; it was beautiful!

Hughes500E 10-19-2006 09:46 PM

I wouldn't know if I was getting acceptable adhesion if I performed the test! This is my first non film covered project.
After seeing a few crafts finished in this material I may just shoot color. Guess I'll base my choice on the end result. Having to NOT sand the base may be a dream though ;) Thanks for your input!

Newc 10-20-2006 07:48 AM

KlassKote recommends the use of a primer and I used one - not theirs - on my recent project (light gray automotive sandable lacquer primer under KlassKote #100 White, both shot with about 40 psi through an automotve detail gun) and am very happy with the results. Sanding of the primer wasn't even very time consuming, and will yield better results than shooting the paint directly on the surface. Paint will not hide imperfections, and may show them more clearly, so I suggest using a primer and getting the best surface prep possible. My project wasn't using Coverite; it was using fiberglassed sections of balsa sheeted foam (wings and tail feathers) and fiberglass fuselage. By the way, properly thinned KlassKote paint is suitable for brushing on as it is self-leveling and gives a smooth surface. Don't know why you are considering using clear anything over the KlassKote as the KlassKote is a very durable high gloss finish - assuming that you use the Gloss Catalyst #405.

You may wish to call KlassKote and ask Nate what he thinks. He is very helpful and responsive. If he isn't in he will return your call.

Hughes500E 10-20-2006 08:53 AM

Thanks for the reply, I have decided to use the primer and shoot for a candy coating :D
I have never used the epoxy based paints so I do not know what to expect. Sounds like orange peeling etc would be tough !
Thinking of clear for that reason, wet sanding the color etc.
Thanx

Newc 10-20-2006 12:21 PM

Thinned and applied properly there won't be an orange peeling. I think that putting clear on top of an orange peel paint job will perhaps make the surface smoother - only if it too is thinned and applied properly - but the orange peel would still be just as visible.

Suggest that, if you haven't yet done so, that you review all the information on the KlassKote website.

Hughes500E 10-21-2006 08:20 PM

Thanks, I would never clear over orange peel. I would wet sand then shoot clear!

Something that just came up, not filling the weave of the fabric to get a better scale look. I would not be able to prime if this is the case.

I like to hear what others have done, would do. The retailer will sell you everything ;)

Newc 10-22-2006 06:34 AM

A light coat of primer may not fill the weave. Don't use a 'high build' primer. Call Nate - He is a retailer that tells the truth. It may seem like a sales job, but that's because the product is that good.

Hughes500E 10-22-2006 11:42 AM

Sure appreciate your replies, I'll do that, thanks!

Newc 10-22-2006 08:51 PM

You're welcome. Let me know what Nate says and what you decide to do.