RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Best R/C Auction Sites (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5242327-best-r-c-auction-sites.html)

Ryan 01-10-2007 11:51 AM

Best R/C Auction Sites

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what the best auction sites are for R/C? I see that rcuniverse has discontinued the auction service here. I rather auctions becaue the market sets the price for you!

Thanks!

Ryan

firstplaceaviator 01-10-2007 03:43 PM

RE: Best R/C Auction Sites

eBay is the only auction site I use. I have sold over 250 planes there.
I never had any success with RCU auctions. I tried a few times, but the modelers here are cheap!
Everyone knows the name eBay and there are thousands of R/C items there.
I still use RCU classifieds. But, eBay always gets a higher selling price because of the amount of people shopping there.
Doug

TLH101 01-10-2007 05:04 PM

Ditto!

rrragmanliam 01-10-2007 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

eBay is the only auction site I use. I have sold over 250 planes there.
I never had any success with RCU auctions. I tried a few times, but the modelers here are cheap!
Everyone knows the name eBay and there are thousands of R/C items there.
I still use RCU classifieds. But, eBay always gets a higher selling price because of the amount of people shopping there.
Doug

Hi Doug,

Hey I like Ebay too but for the exact opposite reason. Frankly what guy's wan't for there stuff on RCU most of the time approaches or supersedes retail prices. I may be cheep but I'm not stupid. If I'm going to pay full price I might as well get it from a retailer I can return it to if I have too. Ebay is great for good deals and that discontinued item you are looking for. That being we all have seen items going for ridiculous prices on ebay. If someone wants somthing bad enough they'll get it no matter what the price.

Darren

firstplaceaviator 01-10-2007 05:35 PM

Hi Darren,
I am a kit collector. So, I am always looking to see what is available on eBay.
I have got some outstanding bargains! It may take some time to get a kit at the price I am willing to pay.
But, if you are patient....You can get some great items at great prices. Case in point: I wanted some new carbon blades for my T-rex SE heli.
Retail price for the blades is $40.00. My maximum bid plus shipping was $25.00
I bid on several sets over a few weeks. Then, I won a set for $11.50 and $10.00 shipping from Hong Kong.
I still saved nearly 50%!
On the other hand, I have sold several old Cox P-40's on eBay. Usually, they sell for $100.00-$175.00
On one auction, there was a bidding war right at the end. The winner paid $450.00 for the plane. To me, that is just stupid and wasteful!
But, as the seller....I can't complain! I only paid $75.00 for the P-40 at a flea market. Heh he heh!!!!
You just have to remember that if you don't win the one you are bidding on, don't worry! Another one WILL be listed.
You just have to wait for it!
Doug

rrragmanliam 01-12-2007 08:46 AM

Hey Doug,

I'm hearing you. Actualy ebay is a great place to find old kits. Where else are you going to find that .60 size CL stunter. As a seller some of the old cox items are alwayse fun, If someone wants to pay 400+ dollars for a P40 more power to them and you. My best Cox sale item was a ME109 Superstunter. Got it for $40.00 in a damaged beat up box, I put in in a near new box I already had and auctioned it off. ended up getting $ 122.00 for it. That doesn't aproach your record but not bad!

Darren

Square Nozzle 01-12-2007 05:37 PM

Depends on where you live. The best auction site in New England is at the Vernon Center Middle School, Vernon Connecticut on February 11, 2007. The Northern Connecticut Radio Control Club's 26th annual auction will be held there.

OH! Did you mean web site? Sorry, but at least you can see and fondle the models (airplanes that is) at the NCRCC Auction.

FLYBOY 01-12-2007 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

On the other hand, I have sold several old Cox P-40's on eBay. Usually, they sell for $100.00-$175.00
On one auction, there was a bidding war right at the end. The winner paid $450.00 for the plane. To me, that is just stupid and wasteful!

I was watching that auction too! I was wishing it was mine they were bidding on. I listed one right after that and it didn't even get close to the reserve, listed it 2 months later and it got $275. Amazing.

I buy a ton of kits on there, and then sell them at other times and make money on them. Sometimes you can steal them. I got a few in dec that I got for half of what they were worth, now if I can just find some buyers to bid them up so I can sell them for twice what they are worth I will be happy! :)

John Sohm 02-10-2007 10:54 PM

:D Yup, eBay! Where guys describe old water damaged 1960's kits as "rare, hard to find, collectable kit - starting bid $ 10x what it was new" and people spend way too much on it. It amazes me. Yeah I know you have to figure in inflation but that would be valid if the box and contents were in excellent condition.

I'm going to place a couple of my Royal kits out there in the next week or so. Five or so years ago, a friend of mine who ran a small hobby shop from his basement, had some Royal kits to get rid of. No one locally wanted them. I took two. Had I known, I would have taken the KI-43 Oscar because I just saw one go for $405 plus $30 shipping !!! He had it originally for $150. Oh well.