RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   yardstick? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5257440-yardstick.html)

spindle 01-13-2007 04:45 AM

yardstick?

hi fellas
call me a dumbass aussie if you must
but what the bloody hell is a yard stick?
something that fell out of your tree in the garden
can one of you kind folk post up an australian conversion
cheers

Senfschneider55 01-13-2007 05:14 AM

RE: yardstick?

spindle

Picture three 12 inch rulers butt-jointed together lengthwise.

It´s a long stick approx: 10mm thick X 39.5 cm long and
3.5 cm wide.

I last saw one in grade school!!!

spindle 01-13-2007 05:24 AM

Thanks Senfschneider 55
you are a Ledgend,
you saved me from pulling all the hair out of my head(i dont have much hair either)
cheers

in the land from down under

sowega flyer 01-13-2007 05:58 AM

A "yardstick" is exactly 36 inches long, which is three feet. Three feet is a "yard", thus the name "yardstick". This is funny to me, because we have them all over the place here in the states, but I guess we are the only ones not using the metric system...

Scar 01-13-2007 06:55 AM

Oh, don't let him kid you. He knows what a Meter Stick is, and there are probably inch markings on the backside - upside down, of course.

Hey, do propellers really turn counter in the southern hemisphere?

Best wishes
Dave Olson

Stickbuilder 01-13-2007 06:59 AM

ORIGINAL: sowega flyer

A "yardstick" is exactly 36 inches long, which is three feet. Three feet is a "yard", thus the name "yardstick". This is funny to me, because we have them all over the place here in the states, but I guess we are the only ones not using the metric system...
And quite a large percentage of the rest of the world has adopted the metric system to measure how far they threw their spears.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

2slow2matter 01-13-2007 07:51 AM

Yard--the greatest measurement on earth. 100 of them make up the greatest field on earth--where men play the greatest game on earth.
The rest of the SAE could dissappear and I'd be fine, but not the yard. Please, first and 8.8 meters to go? Doesn't sound right......

khodges 01-13-2007 03:14 PM

The BEST yard I can think of is a yard of ale. As for the yardstick, just take your meter stick and lop off 8.54cm, mate.

Or as our 8th grade teacher tried to make it easy to remember, "a quart is to a liter as a yard is to a meter":eek:

As far as American Pro football goes, mostly overpaid steroid junkies, more beef on the hoof than a Fort Worth stockyard.

red head 01-13-2007 07:19 PM

I don't remember who makes it but it seems to me I remember a plane called a "Yardstick " also. Have fun with that one !!!

ENJOY !!! RED

Stripes 01-14-2007 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Senfschneider55

spindle

Picture three 12 inch rulers butt-jointed together lengthwise.

It´s a long stick approx: 10mm thick X 39.5 cm long and
3.5 cm wide.

I last saw one in grade school!!!
That's not the way I see it at all. To me a yardstick is 36 inches, about 915 mm.

I think you are getting the other conversion mixed up with it. A meter is 39 3/8 inches.

We here in the USA can get measuring devices calibrated in both systems. I'm just looking at a tape measure for this not doing any math.