RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   receiver size, does size matter? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5273506-receiver-size-does-size-matter.html)

robert85614 01-16-2007 10:32 AM

receiver size, does size matter?

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased a new receiver online (72mhz 6 channel). It is 1/2 the size of my other receivers. It works fine. I would like to know if it should be used in my giant (Week' Special)?
Another question- would i be able to eliminate y harnesses in my Typhoon by installing two of these small receivers? If so, Do I need 2 batteries or could these be coupled together?

Thank you,

Robert

Tall Paul 01-16-2007 11:38 AM

RE: receiver size, does size matter?

Dual receivers are used in large airplanes to prevent the loss of the plane if any single part in either system fails.
Large airplanes usually can handle the extra load of the seperate receivers and batteries.

robert85614 01-16-2007 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Does size matter?

TLH101 01-16-2007 11:58 AM

Depends on what receiver you have. Some of the small receivers have restricted range, while some are full range capable.

hrrcflyer 01-16-2007 12:21 PM

Robert,

How many servo's will the Weeks have? Is the Weeks a Biplane? Will it have a servo for each ailerons? The total number of servos and the number of channels on your transmitter has will determine whether or not you can eliminate the Y-harnesses. If you don't want to use Y-harnesses, both Futaba and JR make matchboxes so one channel can control more than one servo. They are very nice and work extremely well, but they are not cheap.

Fly safe and have fun!!!:D:D
David

hrrcflyer 01-16-2007 12:24 PM

Robert,

OK, OK I'm blind. I never paid any attention to your picutre in your original post. Hence my questions about the Weeks.

David

robert85614 01-16-2007 03:11 PM

I guess it depends if you have a small electric park flyer that doesn't use 72mhz, right?

robert85614 01-17-2007 11:18 AM

Why would anyone elect to use a large receiver if the smaller one could have equal capabilities for a giant airplane?

hrrcflyer 01-17-2007 12:17 PM

Robert,

The reason most people use the large format receivers in their larger airplanes is that there is more room for ther larger receiver and receiver weight is not an issue. Most transmitter & receiver manufacturers now have smaller versions of their regular receivers for smaller planes. There is no problem in using them in a larger plane as long as the receiver has the number of channels you need. I know Futaba makes a small version of their 8 channel receiver, I have been using one in my 60 size Dragon Lady for about six months now. It all depends on your preference and how many channels you are looking for.

David

robert85614 01-17-2007 01:27 PM

Thank you for the explaination. I also have a Dragon Lady with a 120 OS it flys great.
with your reccomendation i will install the small 6 channel receiver in my 72" Weeks special. i only fly as far as I can see.

hrrcflyer 01-18-2007 12:46 PM

Robert,

Glad I could help. I only mentioned Futaba equipment in my responses to your questions because I am familiar with them. Of course other manufacturers make small receivers as well, but I am not familiar with them.

Where did you find your Weeks? What engine do you plan on using in the plane? How many aileron servos are you going to use? I have a friend at my club that has a large scale (at least 1/3 scale) Weeks Solution X biplane with a 3W 72 twin cylinder gas engine. Let me tell you, it is by far the best flying biplane I have ever seen, bar none!! I hope yours flies as well as my friends plane does.

Let me know how yours flies. I have been thinking about building one myself. I know a kit cutter that offers the Solution X in three sizes, the 120 size being the smallest.

Fly safe and have fun!!:D:D
David

robert85614 01-18-2007 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have 2 large servos in the lower wing driving 4 ailerons. 1 large servo with 2 pushrods driving split elevators, 1 large servo driving the rudder. Hs705mg Hitec and a standard servo on the throttle of a Zenoha 38. I may upgrade to a Quadra 50 if this is under powered.
My friend collects kits and he parted with this one at a good price. Ace produced the kit in the 70's. It has wingspan of 72"
Cold windy weather here has slowed down my plans of getting it in the air this month. Perhaps next month will be better.
Thank you for your help and interest.