RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Remote glo plug-how to make? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5294893-remote-glo-plug-how-make.html)

wsmalley 01-20-2007 12:55 PM

Remote glo plug-how to make?

I thought I might try to make a remote glow plug connector, but seems more difficult than I thought. I assumed I could solder a wire on to the post where the electrode is but discovered the post doesn't easily come out out of the plug. The one I butchered appeared to have the post epoxied in place. I tried twisting it out but it merely pulverised the epoxy-or whatever it is-and still couldn't get it out. Thought I'd try here and see if someone has done this. I don't need a long connector, just don't want to chop another hole in cowl, and my engine is inverted. At $12-19, I thought it was worth the effort!

HighPlains 01-20-2007 01:49 PM

RE: Remote glo plug-how to make?

Well first off, it's not epoxy as that would burn out. It's glass. The element is welded to the post on the inside of the plug.

This is what you want:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBC35&P=ML

feihu 01-20-2007 04:23 PM

get a strip of 1/32 brass about 1 inch long and 1/4 in wide.
drill a hole, about the same diameter (or slightly smaller) of the glow plug pin, at about 1/8 inch in from one end. then make a cut from that end thru the hole about 3/4 in.
drill a hole at the other end to accept your wire. I used a piece of heat shrink to cover the wire and clip up to the plug hole.
slide the clip onto the glow plug by twisting the clip to spread the opening and untwist when the hole is aligned with the plug pin.
this is similar to the 1/2 A glow plug clips for the Cox engines.

Used this on my completely cowled inverted FS70 engine among others.

Made a drawing of this for someone a long time ago, but can't find the dwg.

hope the description helps.

feihu

wsmalley 01-20-2007 05:10 PM

I may not understand, sounds like the part you describe goes over the engine's plug. What do you hook your nicad starter plug to? I've used a 'C' clip with a wire soldered to it and just a ground wire to the engine bolt down lug. I slipped a small piece of fuel line over the plug, and under the 'C' clip to keep it off the plug's body.

feihu 01-20-2007 10:28 PM

I had a toggle switch mounted on the side of the model and a single 2400mah sub C installed inside the airplane.
I flip the switch to start the engine and leave it on during the entire flight; never a flameout and what a beautiful idle!
The 2400mah battery is good for about 40 min of flight. Use a bigger batt if you want more time.
Other fellows have used a servo operated switch for starting and TO and landings.

Used this for about a year with no plug burnout (type F 4-cycle plug)

feihu

Rodney 01-21-2007 09:39 AM

Get a brass wheel collar that just fits over the end of the glow plug (make sure it is brass and not aluminum), solder a wire to it to connect to your ignitor battery. Place a small insulator (a thin slice of silicon fuel tubing) between the head of the motor and the wheel collar when you put the collor over the plug. Connect the other end of the battery to any part of the motor block through an appropriate length of wire. Mount the two wires going to the battery anywhere convenient for acess.

red head 01-22-2007 08:48 PM

Check the www.DUBRO. com. Items 793 & 794 ENJOY !!! RED

wsmalley 01-22-2007 09:30 PM

I guess I wasn't clear on what I was asking about. I wanted to try and make the 'dummy' end of the rig that is a plug which has the the hot part of the plug attached to a wire. Somehow guess you'd have to drill out the electrode-or part the element is attached to. I've bought several remote outfits. I've also used wheel collars and 'c' clips, with micro switches and batteries in the plane-each works for its own purpose. I wanted to make one to hook up the nicad starter to, other than directly to the plug.