RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   HELPP Airplane 180size on my Car roof.. what is the Max speed??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5314828-helpp-airplane-180size-my-car-roof-what-max-speed.html)

juvaknin 01-24-2007 05:00 AM

HELPP Airplane 180size on my Car roof.. what is the Max speed???

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,
if i put my Airplane (EXTRA-300 -- 180engine) on my Car Roof..
i don't have problem to tied it up, and i know i need to secure the Elevator and Rudder.. no problem
but in what speed i can drive???? how Fast?? i'm affraid there will be too much resistance to the wind and the airplane will crash..
(everything can happen... the wheels will get disconnect from the fuselage or something?!?! [X(])
so guys, what you think? Please answer me only if you tried it!.. Thanks!
This is my Airplane i'm talking about..

firstplaceaviator 01-24-2007 08:22 AM

RE: HELPP Airplane 180size on my Car roof.. what is the Max speed???

I used to drive a Porsche 944 to the field with a Goldberg Extra 300 tied to the ski rack on the roof.
I did remove the wing, as I just didn't trust that the plane would stay there if the wing was installed.
My guess is that your plane will fly at bout 25 MPH. So, anything faster than that and you are risking loosing your Extra!
Without the wing, highway speeds were no problem. Nothing bad ever happened to my Extra during transport.
Doug

SoCalSal 01-24-2007 09:22 AM

If your going to put the plane on the car facing forward then remove the wing. If you put it on faceing backwards then you can leave the wing on. Just renmember to secure the tail feathers so that they don't catch the slipstream sideways. This way you can drive faster withpout the wing creating lift as you go.

rc-sport 01-24-2007 06:13 PM

Ok....now I've seen everything

RCVFR 01-24-2007 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: juvaknin

Hi guys,
if i put my Airplane (EXTRA-300 -- 180engine) on my Car Roof..
i don't have problem to tied it up, and i know i need to secure the Elevator and Rudder.. no problem
but in what speed i can drive???? how Fast?? i'm affraid there will be too much resistance to the wind and the airplane will crash..
(everything can happen... the wheels will get disconnect from the fuselage or something?!?! [X(])
so guys, what you think? Please answer me only if you tried it!.. Thanks!
This is my Airplane i'm talking about..

Well, that sure didn't work! :)

southernlifttruck41 01-24-2007 10:41 PM

I hate to say it BUT DON'T DO IT........ I had a 122 in wingspan J3 cub .....HAD..... I mounted it in the back of my flatbed 1 ton truck. I drove real slow. But those big diesel trucks meeting you on the road running 70 mph can rip a plane all to pieces . The wind pressure and the draft off them will bust balsa wood. Also don't tie a tarp over your plane. The flapping tarp will bust it up too. My advice take out the passenger seat or buy a bigger car or maybe a used U- Haul van.... Maybe it would be cheeper to buy a smaller plane. Heck ..... If you can afford a $3500.00 plane why don't you just rent a trailer......AT U-Haul

TLH101 01-24-2007 10:52 PM

Byron's used to offer a rack, made to carry their Pitts on the deck lid of a car.:D

firstplaceaviator 01-25-2007 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: southernlifttruck41

I hate to say it BUT DON'T DO IT........ I had a 122 in wingspan J3 cub .....HAD..... I mounted it in the back of my flatbed 1 ton truck. I drove real slow. But those big diesel trucks meeting you on the road running 70 mph can rip a plane all to pieces . The wind pressure and the draft off them will bust balsa wood. Also don't tie a tarp over your plane. The flapping tarp will bust it up too. My advice take out the passenger seat or buy a bigger car or maybe a used U- Haul van.... Maybe it would be cheeper to buy a smaller plane. Heck ..... If you can afford a $3500.00 plane why don't you just rent a trailer......AT U-Haul
So, did your J3 get shredded??? C'mon finish the story!

secret_squirrel 01-25-2007 11:58 AM

one of the guys at my field always transports his plane on the top of the car w/o the wing installed. He swears by it and has no problems. He just has to clean the bugs off when he arrives[:@]

FLYBOY 01-25-2007 10:51 PM

As long as it is at zero thrust, meaning the tail is in line as if it were flying and it is tied on good, it will be fine. Many do it. There will be no more force on it than if it were flying, other than the tie downs. That you want to do very carefully. The guy that taught me did it with a 1/3 bipe. The only problem was when the tie down broke and he lost a wing. Luckilly the truck behind him missed it and he just put some tape over the holes in it and flew it.

Not something I would do personally, but if it your only choice, make sure it is secure and straight and go for it.

Don't tie it backwards. You are asking for all kinds of trouble doing that.