RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Hitec Eclipse 7 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5356576-hitec-eclipse-7-a.html)

jjtown 02-01-2007 03:35 PM

Hitec Eclipse 7

I have been flying Futaba for a long time and I am thinking of buying a Hitec Eclipse 7(spectra). I was wondering what the Pros and cons of this system? Or would I be better off with a Futaba 9 ch.?
Jim

alan0899 02-01-2007 05:03 PM

RE: Hitec Eclipse 7

G'day Mate,
Have you checked out the Spektrum DX7?
All your servos & batteries will work, just change receivers & away ya go.

Cyberwolf 02-01-2007 05:14 PM

Hello I have the Hitec eclipse 7 QPCM and it has been a flawless set up so far (2 yrs) Myself I couldn't ask for a nicer easy to use radio.
I have been looking at the Specktrum DX 7 myself as it is supposed to be bullet proof for RF. But I'll wait a while yet and get more feed back to see if this newer style high tech stuff is cracked up to what its supposed to be.

BillyGoat 02-01-2007 05:15 PM

Depends on what your looking for in a radio. What type of flying do you do?

Pros – Eclipse is very economically priced.

Cons – Eclipse does not as many functions as a 9C

jjtown 02-01-2007 06:59 PM

Im 6o years old and I fly a GP Spacewalker, GP tiger moth , 90 funtania. Jim

BillyGoat 02-01-2007 09:26 PM

I’ve been using an Eclipse with the spectra for three years now. I think it’s a good system considering the price. There have been a couple times I wish it had some programming abilities of other, more advanced, systems. It was nothing that couldn't be worked around just that those functions would have been nice.

What you’re flying right now the Eclipse would be a good radio, although I can’t remember does the Funtana 90 have dual elevator servos? In that regard the Hitec does not have ailevator function so a reversing Y harness is necessary.

Hope this helps.

jjtown 02-01-2007 11:31 PM

I am worried about the switching back and fourth of frequencies. Have you ever heard of any malfunctions with this procedure?

bhole74 02-02-2007 09:32 AM

After 4 years of flying with my Eclipse, I upgraded to a 9303 and glad I did, much more mix possibilities. My module has recently shown the wear on the gears in the dials, I sometimes have to play with it a bit to get it locked into one of my most frequently used channels (I have taken all planes off that freq on the Eclipse). Time for a new module.

BillyGoat 02-02-2007 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: jjtown

I am worried about the switching back and fourth of frequencies. Have you ever heard of any malfunctions with this procedure?
bhole74 is the first I’ve heard. I don't switch much, I typically only fly three different frequencies, so my module works just like the day I bought it. But it is sure nice being able to switch.

Using any synthesized system comes with responsibility. I've heard of people shooting down others because the module was set to another frequency than they thought.

The only way to determine what frequency the module is set to, is by looking at the dials. Since the Spectra's dials are on the side the user must remove the module to see them. An idea that I took right here from RCU, is cutting a hole into he side of the TX where the module mounts. Now I can see the dials with a quick glance. Plus the frequencies can be change without removing the module.

bhole74 02-02-2007 05:45 PM

I switch channels a lot. My 2 favorite planes were on 2 different channels, causing me to switch every time I flew the other. I'm really surprised it took this long to show the wear. I plan to send it back to Hi-tec for them to check and replace if nescessary.

Murdoc 02-02-2007 06:04 PM

I had a hitec eclipse for about 4 months. I was not pleased with it:(
The price is an advantage compared to other radios. But it only has a 7 model memory..
When I switched to a futaba 9c, the glitching suddenly disappeared..
Anyway, I"m sure the eclipse is a ok radio, but to me it was a bit to simple.
I had the new qpcm version, so I can"t really talk about the other versions.

pt19 flyer 02-17-2007 03:19 PM

hi
you will not be unhappy with the hitec eclipse TX. I have the eclipse with the spectra module and also have one of the older prism7 by hitec. great service also.

good luck and happy flying

pt19 flyer

WILDCRASHWILLY 02-19-2007 11:23 AM

I have three E-Clipse Seven radios. They have been great radios for the price and I would recommend them to anyone.

jaka 02-19-2007 05:16 PM

Hi!
I seen many Hitec radios true the years that did not work properly. Sorry!
Go JR or Futaba
Today I would personaly choose a DX-7 spread spectrum radio (made by JR).

PiccoLino 02-19-2007 06:04 PM

When Hitec Eclipse 7 QCPM's work well they are good radios, even more precise than Futaba 7C but I had faced problems (glitching erratically) when mine was brand new. Then I got it replaced under warranty and things have been just fine so far. If you buy one make sure it has got no defect before you use it for your favorite plane.