RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Which Plane is faster? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5360013-plane-faster.html)

rcdivot 02-02-2007 09:17 AM

Which Plane is faster?

Which Plane would be faster with an O.S. 46 AX on it of the 3 listed below....

Sig Something Extra

Goldberg Tiger 2

Hanger 9 Pulse XT 40

firstplaceaviator 02-02-2007 10:50 AM

RE: Which Plane is faster?

Somethin' Extra has 614 Sq. In. Wing Area
Hanger 9 Pulse XT 40 has 667 Sq. In. Wing Area
Goldberg Tiger 2 has 680 Sq. In. Wing Area

The Extra will be the fastest of the bunch.
Doug

Charlie P. 02-02-2007 11:14 AM

Gonna disagree and I'll tell you why. The Wing Loading for each is:

SSE (4.8 lbs) - 18.0 oz/sq in
GT2 (5.25 lbs) - 16.8
Pulse (6.25lbs)- 21.6

Nod to the Pluse as the fastest, once you get it moving. It's certainly going to land the fastest.

Second reason is the SSE has a very thick camber and long chord - slower wing shape. Also, SSE is a 3-D style and therefore would likely have a 4 or 5 inch pitch prop in the field. Lowers top end.

I vote for the Pluse.

firstplaceaviator 02-02-2007 02:52 PM

In theory you are correct. I built a Goldberg Tiger Jr. (predecessor to Tiger 2) years ago and powered it with an OS .45FP
It was a wonderful airplane. After I demolished the poor Tiger, I put the engine in a Somethin' Extra that I bought used.
WAY FASTER and nearly unlimited vertical. Although it is a 3D style plane, it was really difficult to hover. When I moved the CG far enough back for it to hover a little better, the flight characteristics were down right scary. So, I sold it and put the gear in a CG Exteme 330. I had so much fun with the 330 that I wore it out.
It was the first plane that I could do stationary flat spins with! I destroyed it this summer doing a blender.
The wing snapped right at the fuselage. It was quite spectalular! Now I need a new airframe for the old .45.

I have no experience with the Pulse. It is a really good looking plane though. Hangar 9 quality is hard to beat too!

rc-sport 02-02-2007 03:14 PM

I have seen a Pulse fly and it is a fast plane. I'd put it ahead of the Tiger or the Extra. I really don't thing wing loading has much to do with speed.

daveopam 02-02-2007 05:09 PM

I don't know about the Pulse. But I have the other 2. The Tiger is faster then the SSE. The SSE has a thicker cord and more drag.

David

RCVFR 02-02-2007 05:26 PM

I have the pulse, and with a Magnum 46XLS. it is a quick plane. Even with a 12X4 prop, it is fast enough I fly at reduced throttle most of the time. It has a thinner airfoil and a generally "slipperier" air frame than the others. its a mover!

Scar 02-02-2007 06:03 PM

Why would you want to fly a Sig Someth'n Extra fast? For that matter, why fly a Tiger fast?

As far as capability, I'd think the Pulse would be the winner. But if you want fast... get a quickie 500, or a Dominator, or something like that. These are sporty planes, and the S.E. borders on 3D style.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

ORIGINAL: rcdivot

Which Plane would be faster with an O.S. 46 AX on it of the 3 listed below....

Sig Something Extra

Goldberg Tiger 2

Hanger 9 Pulse XT 40

masonman 02-04-2007 10:26 PM

get you a pylon plane if you want to go fast...Something with real clean lines.(Little toni-Shoestring-Minnow)

vertical grimmace 02-04-2007 10:48 PM

Maybe some new racing class is being created that requires these designs! How fast you fly with these types of planes is really pretty irrelevant. If these are your choices what else are you trying to get out of your flying experience other than speed? I would go for the Tiger or SSE from the standpoint that they fly good.
Also the original Tiger was the Sky tiger. This was basically a low wing Eagle 63 with a 63" wingspan (hence the name). The jr tiger was a .25 size version with around a 50" span which many put .40s on. You really cannot compare the jr. tiger with the Tiger 2 as the planes are significantly differant in size.
Again if you want to go fast, get a GP Viper for $120 or maybe a Lanier Shrike. With your engine and these airframes you will get over 120 mph if that is all that matters!