RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Is NiCD a dieing breed ?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5369607-nicd-dieing-breed.html)

TopThumbs 02-04-2007 12:22 PM

Is NiCD a dieing breed ??

I have, oh about a dozen older (12 plus years) transmitters ranging ffrom a Fut 9VAP to some FUT4nbl's with everything in between, even a few older JR's.
All batteries need replacing due to storage (and neglect) :(

I went to my LHS and asked for a TX and a RX battery. i was asked 1500(I think it was 1500) or 700 MAH. I said the 700 'cause I knew NiCD wasnt available in a 1500MAH AA pack.

The subject of NIMH came up and I was told all packs are now NIMH [:o] I wondered if my old TX and RX chargers could charge NIMH pack... I still wonder - can anyone answer this for me?

By the way as luck would have it the two batteries he showed me where NiCD, which even surprised the LHS owner [&:]
$50 some dollars later I purchased them and went about my way happy (I remember TX packs where $19.99, I guess I've been outta touch a while huh )

So, again... my question is. can the fut and JR TX and RX chargers (the ones that come with the radios) charge NiMH packs?
if not what is the best.. and by best I eman cheapest, way to convert.

I have a OLD Super HI IQ and a few hobbico multi charger units also. will these work?
I am clueless over LiPo's and NiMH cells as you can tell.

Thanks
Bill

kdc 02-04-2007 12:29 PM

RE: Is NiCD a dieing breed ??

I have found the standard Futaba (nicad) charger works OK on a new transmitter with NIMH batteries.

If you are going to use stored / old gear check carefully for black wire corrosion in the rest of the wiring!

TopThumbs 02-04-2007 12:49 PM

I'm tossing our all my old NiCD's and will be replacing them all.
I learned a long time ago about the corrosion thing ;)
plugged in my VAP and poof... FIRE!!!
luckily the TX was fine, a little re-wiring and all was good again.

lesson learned, remove the batteries from your radios if your going to store them.

Bill

IronCross 02-04-2007 09:47 PM

Hmm, I have some 4.8 volt 1700 mah nicad receier batteries ... Love im.. If switching from nicad to some other type read the specs on your servoes first... A few of the Futaba servoes suggest nicad only because of the higher current nicads handle...

PiccoLino 02-05-2007 05:05 PM

Yes, you can use the wall charger for NiMH packs. Make sure the charging time will be long enough. For instance a 75 mAh wall charger chas to fill up a 1700 NiMH pack in 36 hours at least. This is the reason why, by time, you will find those electronic fast chargers more convenient.

About NiCad's I would like to say that the only problem they have is the well known memory effect. A part of that I find them very long lasting and extremely reliable. For some of my radios and receivers I am still using Ni Cad's with total confidence.

kb guy 02-05-2007 07:48 PM

i used to fly app. 10 yrs. ago. all my gear sat in storage. i`m worried about the ni cad batt.the trans. batt. is a sanyo 600mah. after charging & disc. 3 times (overnight) the needle will drop into the orange in about 2 hrs. of just sitting turned on. i don`t recall how long it stayed up when flying. what i want to confirm is that the batt. are shot. no corrosion or anything. help.

IronCross 02-05-2007 07:55 PM

I usually discard mine after 3 or 4 years at the most... IMHO it is not worth pusing it... It costs much less to replace a battery pack then a plane and related equipment.. I would like to tell you I have never lost a plane because of battery failure but as soon as I said that you know what would happen so I won't say it :D

PiccoLino 02-06-2007 03:33 AM

Yup, you are right.
I did lose a plane (nice one, scratch built) because of battery failure and it left a very bitter taste.
I can tell you that it was a good lesson and ever since I haven't crashed any including my son's small electric ones.

TopThumbs 02-06-2007 10:08 AM

So, just to understand this...

there really is no difference between NiCD and NiMH packs other that MAH and time to charge?

I also use some rather hi end peak chargers (in thier day). Tekin and Victor Engineering Super HI IQ.

Would a NiCD peak charger sense the peak on a NiMH pack?
peaking and cycling NiCD via a thermal sensor is pretty reliable, do NiMH packs react the same?

what would be the voltage cut off be?

Thanks again for the education.

Bill

IronCross 02-06-2007 10:37 AM

NiCD and NiMH packs are NOT the same... The NIMH packs will not deliver the current the NICADS will... There are workarounds like adding an extra cell to the NIMH packs to increase current etc . If you check out Futaba servoes you see that some of them say not to use the NIHM batterys with them... This is because they will not supply the current the servoes need to make specs..... I use NIMH in my transmitters but stick with NICADS for my receiver packs.. Just my prefferance...
I also use my same charger (Sirius) on both types with no problems... I just have to turn it off and on a couple times for the larger capicity battery packs.. My 1700 mah nicads are seldom totaly discarged though so unless I am cycling them even that is not usually necessary..