RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Landing gear wheels--How tight do you make them ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5436622-landing-gear-wheels-how-tight-do-you-make-them.html)

Super Sabre 02-18-2007 12:48 PM

Landing gear wheels--How tight do you make them ?

Hi,

I was wondering how tight do you guys/gals make the wheels on your axles ?

Do you tighten the collars snug against the wheels for a snug fit ? (ie: barely free-spins)

Thanks for the feedback.

SS

bbbair 02-18-2007 01:11 PM

RE: Landing gear wheels--How tight do you make them ?

No, the collars should not be 'Tight' against the wheel.

The wheels should be able to spin freely to give you an easy roll out on take off, but not so loose that they 'Wobble' - this will give you poor ground handling and uneven wear on the wheels.

I like to use a washer on both sides of the wheel and then snug the collar up against the washer - still ensuring that the wheel can spin freely.

lrtx1 02-18-2007 01:22 PM

You might also consider making a flat spot on your axle so the collar set screw gets more bite. One wheeled landings are never fun!

Super Sabre 02-18-2007 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bbbair

I like to use a washer on both sides of the wheel and then snug the collar up against the washer - still ensuring that the wheel can spin freely.
Great, thanks for the feedback. I think I'll use some washers also.

ORIGINAL: lrtx1

You might also consider making a flat spot on your axle so the collar set screw gets more bite. One wheeled landings are never fun!
Better safe than sorry I guess ! Thanks for the tip ! I'll go this route also.

I'm actually putting together my 4th plane, and want this one to be THE plane I have for many many many years. (I may have just jinxed myself though by actually stating this ;))

Thanks,
SS

eniac 02-18-2007 11:10 PM

I've recently taken to overdrilling the size of the hole in my wheels, and then jamming (under drill for the this) a piece of brass tubing into the hub. I make the tube just a very slight amount smaller than the width of the hub. I then use a washer on both sides of this brass bearinged wheel, one soldered(or, another collar ground down a little bit) to the axle flush (more brass tube that I manage to pull away before it gets hot enough to let the solder run under it). Once I have a washer(or collar) backed axle, and a wheel with a brass bearing, I use just a touch (I've had this one tube of graphite for 15 years) of graphite on the axle, the wheel goes on, give it a little spin, and then apply the 'outside' (*depending on the orientation of the axle) washer and a collar. I also grind down the 'flat spot' for the collar to seat, so far the only 'one wheel landing' was when I didn't do this.

This seems to render a wheel that spins very well, has just a little bit of side to side play(1/64th or less of an inch), but no 'wobble', and also has around 1/64th (or, less than half a milimeter) of an inch of gap between the washers, and the brass tube for dirt and things to get out of the way. Granted, I've only flown planes for about 30-60 flights with this technique (I'm new, about 2 years, in the flying model game), they seem to hold up in both hot weather, and snow and ice (down to about 15 degrees and snowing hard) so far.

I'm no expert, there are better model dudes than I here, but this one worked for me, even if it took a little longer. Those gear sure do seem like friends on approach, you really want 'em nice.

eniac

TexasAirBoss 02-19-2007 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've stopped using wheel collars all together. I cut a shallow groove around the axle (with the dremel) and pop on an "e" clip. They are about 4 cents each (at Ace Hardware), and will never come off accidentally.

Geistware 02-19-2007 08:24 PM

I agree on the "E" clips.
They work great.

I make my collars as tight against the wheel as I can get it.
You will be landing with at least the weight of your plane or more on your wheels.
They WILL turn!