RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Mode I or mode II (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5440139-mode-i-mode-ii.html)

PiccoLino 02-19-2007 05:08 AM

Mode I or mode II

As you can see from my profile I am Italian, consequently I fly in Mode I. At the beginning when I joined my club I had no reason to make such a question since there was no buddy around but the ones who flew in Mode I, so that I learned to fly in the only available way.
Some say that Mode I is better for 3D flying and crazy manoeuvres like that, other say that Mode II provides more precision and a better control of rudder-elevator mixing.
In the past years more buddies have joined my club and some of them fly in Mode II.
Now my son is 9 and the time to put a radio in his hands has come, either it could be me his instructor or one of my Mode II buddies.
I really wonder in which Mode should I teach him to...

jaka 02-19-2007 07:49 AM

RE: Mode I or mode II

Hi!
I think it is more natural to have the elevator and ailerons on the right stick (like a full scale airplane) and have throttle and siderudder on the left stick.

Ed_Moorman 02-19-2007 09:29 AM

Although I fly aileron and elevator on the same stick, I think if I started over again, I would fly a "split stick" mode with the aileron and elevator separated.

Many pattern fliers have told me that you can get more precise control of roll with the aileron on a different stick. With our spring loaded sticks, there is a tendency to change the roll rate when you add elevator correction in maneuvers, a slow roll, for example. Although the same thing happend with rudder and elevator, you don't use this correction as much.

red head 02-19-2007 09:07 PM

I'm not going to get into which is better or best but I will try to help your situation.

You are flying mode 1, and your son is 9 yrs old. Chances are you will be doing most of the building, repairing and getting ready to go to the field and checking preflights. To me it only make sence to stick to one system, why confuse the situation with 2 different modes ????

I'm sure if he ever gets to the stage that he would need to change for some reason by that point it wouldn't be a real big deal for him to relearn. ENJOY !!! RED

anotherhobby 02-19-2007 09:40 PM

Is he right handed or left handed? Seems to me (I'm somewhat new here) that the dominant hand would control the elevator and aileron, etc.

BillyGoat 02-20-2007 10:24 PM

I agree with Red, have him fly the mode you fly. There will be no need for separate equipment for each of you. Also it may not seem like it but children truly like to emulate their parents. If you fly mode one I guarantee he will want to fly mode one, even if you try to convince him the other is better.

Mode One 02-20-2007 10:55 PM

As far as I'm concerned the only draw back to flying Mode One (in the states anyway) is your radio needs to be sent to the factory for conversion to Mode One when you buy it. There are no advantages to flying one over the other. The best pilots in the world fly both ways. People will tell you Mode Two is more realistic. Today, real airplanes mostly all fly with a yoke, so if your the pilot (in the left seat) roll and pitch are controlled with the left hand (Sorry righty, your going to have to forget your dominant hand thing) and power is controlled with the right. This is not like either Mode One or Two.

It boils down to who is going to teach your son how to fly! With you flying Mode One, why should your son fly Mode two? Mode One is not bad for his health! If he looses interest, you have equipment you can use. If he stays interested, he can choose if he wants to change, or the world has just gained another ambidextrous Mode One flyer! Yeah!!!!

For more, type in Mode One flyers Unit, in a search here on R/CU for additional opinions.

guille2006 02-22-2007 01:54 PM

Really much was already been writen about this. Some conclusions: "sunday" flyiers uses to feel etter with mode II; pattern and precision aerobatics uses to be better with mode I with tail in the left hand and aile+throtle in the rigth".
But somebody also told: the best radio mode is the one you learned... ha!!!!!
Somenzini flyies mode I; CPLR mode II... it's all about training
bye!