RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   compensating weight (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5490574-compensating-weight.html)

formerlyknownasAWB 02-28-2007 07:39 PM

compensating weight

I need to balance a nose heavy plane, would it be possible to use a heavier wood for the vertical or horizontal stab(basswood or ply)?

what effect could this have on flight performance?

I am looking for options other than adding lead and I have already mounted the servos near the rear as one.

Insanemoondoggie 02-28-2007 08:09 PM

RE: compensating weight

Not sure why type of plane you have, but moving the battery aft if you can is a good way to get your CG without adding more weight.

meaden 02-28-2007 08:15 PM

Move the battery back...back to the tail if you need to.

I don't think the heavier wood would do much...depends on how nose heavy it is.

Flight effects of adding weight...heavier plane = higher wing loading = higher stall speed, faster landings, less power for the fun stuff...

Flying freak 02-28-2007 08:17 PM

you can add a battery comparment with a little hatch on the bottom of the model determine where you need to put the battery and put a hatch there.. this will add only a few grams in actuall wight but will balance the model.

formerlyknownasAWB 02-28-2007 09:07 PM

I didn't think about a possible battery compartment/hatch near the rear. its a 1/12 scale so it gets a little tight for space the farther back we go.

Ed Smith 02-28-2007 09:30 PM

As suggested move the battery back. Additionally move the fuel tank back to the approximate balance point.

Ed S

Rcpilot 03-01-2007 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: formerlyknownasAWB

I didn't think about a possible battery compartment/hatch near the rear. its a 1/12 scale so it gets a little tight for space the farther back we go.

[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

1/12th scale WHAT?

1/12th scale B-17 bomber? Should be plenty of room in the tail for a battery.

Or are we talking about a 1/12th scale Pitts Bipe?

1/12th scale 747?

Or 1/12th scale Cap 232?

formerlyknownasAWB 03-01-2007 07:58 PM

ok you got me.

I was exagerating a little about it being tight for space. The truth is I can't think clearly when I'm hopped up glue fumes.[sm=tired.gif]

Its a HOB ME-109.

jetmech05 03-02-2007 06:53 AM

perhaps ypu should open a window

jaka 03-02-2007 01:27 PM

Hi!
Never ever add weight!!! That's a death sin!
Move what ever it takes to reach a good balance, servos , batteries receiver, tank you name it ...but never add anything!
Can't you Dremel away on the engine mount. Plastic engine mounts often have long engine bearers that stick out, cut them off. Move the engine back...just remove the firewall and glue it in further back. just some centimetres might be enough.

scratchonly 03-02-2007 03:42 PM

I don't know how you are finishing your plane , but remember about 80% of your paint/covering will be behind the CG.

Fuel Dinosaur 03-02-2007 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: formerlyknownasAWB

I need to balance a nose heavy plane, would it be possible to use a heavier wood for the vertical or horizontal stab(basswood or ply)?

what effect could this have on flight performance?

I am looking for options other than adding lead and I have already mounted the servos near the rear as one.

I agree that you should always try to shift weight around in a plane for balance and add dead weight LAST. Move the battery back, you can glass the stab. The point is you attempt to add dead weight last. I have seen a biplane with a short nose that took a ton of lead to balance. By the time (bad design?) you have to do this, you almost need a larger engine to pull the lead. [:o]

formerlyknownasAWB 03-03-2007 10:12 AM

I can see the light, I have been saved. Amen

ty

broke_n_bummin 03-03-2007 11:28 AM

If that doesn't work, I guess you could wedge a balloon filled with helium between the motor and the radio.