RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   my os 10 fp blew up (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5491073-my-os-10-fp-blew-up.html)

danny31292 02-28-2007 09:10 PM

my os 10 fp blew up

My friend, age 12, and I, age 14, recently bought a os .10 fp engine from a club member. Another member, Roger sells a spad called the shark, basicly a sickle. We also race them every month. Roger crashed my friends shark by accident so in return he got a box o crap with many sharks and an old electric shark. So we put this engine on this old electic shark. I havent seen it fly but my friend said it flew great. Now I hear that the piston blew off the cylinder head and the screw are stripped. We slit the cost of this 20 dollar engine and it is now broken. The question is wheather we can tap out the hole and put larger screw in. I hope this a workable solution because i dont want to buy another engine, even if it is 20 bucks. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dan[:@]

bbbair 03-01-2007 06:11 AM

RE: my os 10 fp blew up

Cylinder heads don't just pop off.

I would like to know 'Who' took it off, 'Why' and 'What Else' they did to that engine?

It sounds like this guy at the club was just cleaning out his junk drawer - BUT - mayby he sold it to you as parts or a project - talk to him and get the history on the engine.

Although tapping out the holes with an oversize bolt is your easiest answer (and I admire your determination). Before you put any more time and money into that engine I would want to know if it is worth the effort.

Good Luck

danny31292 03-01-2007 06:53 AM

The club member was forced to buy the engine along with another 25 size engine and never used the 10. You could say he was cleaning out his junk drawer, but certainely not purposely selling junk. He was selling unused item to save for a new helicopter. The engine did run and fly the plane really really well but my friend said he was running it his house and the cylinder head just blew off while running it up. If we tap it out do we just need to borrow the supplies and then buy new screws.

bbbair 03-01-2007 11:52 AM

OK; so what you're saying is that you are at least the THIRD OWNER of this engine... [&o]

Sure; tap out the existing holes and install the new bolts. Maximum expenditure $5.00.

IF that fixs the problem - GREAT! :D Go flying.

IF you have any more problems with the little engine - scrap it as a learning experience. [:'(]

You will loose too much time and effort on it. [&o]

Sometimes, it's cheaper to buy a new item.

danny31292 03-01-2007 03:55 PM

Well I'll try to tap it out. It was a free plane a cheap engine and we had all the parts. If tapping it doesnt work I'm done with it but my friend may buy another engine. Im not spending anymore money on it, I'm saving for a new airfoilz.
Thanks for all the help