RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Am I making a Covering Blunder? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5494198-am-i-making-covering-blunder.html)

mclina 03-01-2007 02:28 PM

Am I making a Covering Blunder?

1 Attachment(s)
I am a newbie, in the midst of building a Four Star 40. In playing around with covering schemes, I had decided I really like the looks of the GP Stiks, with the maltese crosses, and thought I would use this scheme on my Four Star.

I just searched the archives and read some threads about the controversy surrounding these markings. Since I am not doing an authentic scale plane, would I be a complete idiot for covering my plane this way?

I still have a ways to go before I start covering, so it is not too late to change horses. I'd only be out the $10 I spent on the decals. I'll use the red Monocote either way.

Thanks

exeter_acres 03-01-2007 03:02 PM

RE: Am I making a Covering Blunder?

it is your plane.......

I don't see what people get upset about.....

mclina 03-01-2007 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my kindergarten, MS Paint drawing of what I'm planning.

Beyond any potential controversy over pre-Nazi era antipathy, does it just look dumb?

2slow2matter 03-01-2007 03:34 PM

It looks fine. Go for it.

ChuckW 03-01-2007 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd cover it any way that you persoanlly think looks good. The Maltese cross is everywhere you look these days. Who cares if you're plane isn't a scale WW-1 model. I did a sort of rat-rod look on a 4*. It was flat black with chrome Maltese crosses. I eventually moved the CG too far back and lost it. The fact I was flying in the fog like an idiot didn't help either.

bbbair 03-01-2007 03:59 PM

The Maltese Cross (AKA Iron Cross) was and remains the symbol of the German Military.

Many folks still harbour harsh feelings over the Atrocities commited by the Nazi during WW2, and they confuse the Nazi with the common German people. As such you will always find someone that's upset.

The Iron Cross has been a respected symbol for centuries - use it with pride.

RCKen 03-01-2007 04:29 PM

As the others have said, it's your plane do what you want to with it. But to ease your mind, look at this plane currently offered from Great Planes. Look familiar?? :D

[link]http://greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1220.html[/link]

http://greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1220-2.jpg

Ken

mclina 03-01-2007 04:41 PM

That's the plane I was imitating. I was just wondering if the same scheme works on a low wing plane. With the high wing, the Stik can sort of pull off a biplane kind of look.

I think I'll just do it and see how it comes out. It will be a couple of weeks, but I'll post photo's when i'm done.

jetmech05 03-01-2007 04:53 PM

ok here i go up on my soap box.....whether or not you use the cross, or put a swatika on the rudder will not change history. What happened is in the past. those that dont know history are doomed to repeat it.
I would defend you to my last for use of the color scheme. Germany had alot of great pilots in both wars.
if someone gets offended and says something to you(which i dont see happing) tell them that no where in the laws of this great land do you have the right not to be offended.

iron eagel 03-01-2007 05:17 PM

Gee I don't see anyone causing a fuss over scale ME109s with swatikas on them.
Put what you want on it, I think we are all getting a bit to pc nowadays....
And like jet says we do have the right to do as we will.

Besides it will look cool!
Just my 2 cents

Scar 03-01-2007 05:48 PM

Here on RCU I have seen 4-stars dressed up like Messerschmitt 109's and F4U Corsairs, don't think anyone complained.

If you really want to be harrassed, dress it up in pink.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson

formerlyknownasAWB 03-01-2007 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Scar

If you really want to be harrassed, dress it up in pink.

Best wishes
Speaking from experience?

Looks fine dude. I like the skull and cross bones, I'll have to keep that in mind.

ChuckW 03-01-2007 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: mclina

That's the plane I was imitating. I was just wondering if the same scheme works on a low wing plane.
Does this answer your question? I've always though that the Sport Stick 40 from Hobby People looked cool.

*JCB* 03-01-2007 11:30 PM

there IS a difference between a maltese cross and and iron cross.

The iron cross is the one depicted in all of the above pictures, which is indeed a symbol of the german military. A maltese cross on the other hand is a symbol of a Christian Warrior.

[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Maltese-Cross-Heraldry.svg]maltese cross[/link]

mclina 03-01-2007 11:44 PM

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

ORIGINAL: mclina

That's the plane I was imitating. I was just wondering if the same scheme works on a low wing plane.
Does this answer your question? I've always though that the Sport Stick 40 from Hobby People looked cool.

Now I'm convinced. Thanks everyone for the input. I'll get working on this ASAP.

WacoOne 03-02-2007 10:10 PM

jetmech05 said it well! Amen!

A few years ago someone who (I think) was in Europe during WWII complained to the AMA that he was offended by pictures in the AMA magazine of Nazi planes with a swastika. The AMA stated that they were adopting a policy of airbrushing out the swastika before publishing a picture of any airplane with one. A sad day when one individual can change a whole hobby/sport/intustry/etc...!

Bill

chashint 03-03-2007 12:49 AM

Keep the bottom of the wing all red, it will make it a lot easier to tell top and bottom.

mclina 03-13-2007 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought I'd follow up this post with the finished product. I'm pretty happy with it as a first effort.

perreback 03-13-2007 12:43 PM

Looks good. ;)