RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Why does my paint match? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5496437-why-does-my-paint-match.html)

msilvestro 03-01-2007 10:04 PM

Why does my paint match?

Ive painted my 1/3 scale cub with semi satin exterior latex. i used my nelson hvlp gun. after finishing up the camo i noticed that i had some minor overspray. I tried to touch up the over sprayed areas with my airbrush. the areas that were painted with the airbrush have a different shean to them. can anybody tell me why the same paint sprayed from two different guns looks different on the model.

jetmech05 03-02-2007 06:42 AM

RE: Why does my paint match?

I suppose it has to do with how much air is used in the application process, how much overspray then settles, causing a different sheen in the same paint. now thats a guess

firstplaceaviator 03-02-2007 07:57 AM

It was certainly more atomized with the airbrush. That alone will cause a different sheen.
Also, It may have been mixed a little more or less than the first bach.
It shouldn't matter anyway, I have never been able to touch up without having to wet sand and polish for a glossy fininsh.
Or, scuff with scotchbrite and/or wet sand a flat finish.
Doug

Campy 03-02-2007 12:57 PM

FWIW - I would not recommend attempting to wet sand latex paint. I paint almost exclusively with latex and I have never been able to wet sand latex without the paint "balling" up. I have had SOME success using polishing compund on WELL CURED latex paint (minimum 4 months old ),

If you will be using a glow engine do not forget to clear coat the paint. With a gasser you will be OK with just the latex by itself.

scratchonly 03-02-2007 03:49 PM

If you are going to do it over, or next time you do camo, make patterns from lite card or paper and slide something under to raise it about 1/4" ore so off the surface. You will have a soft line with little or no overspray.

LesUyeda 03-03-2007 10:27 AM

One of the less appreciated Subtleties of painting. The gloss, and shade of any paint will depend on how wet, or dry it is applied. The experts use this technique to match old paint. Needless to say, I certainly have never learned how.

Les

msilvestro 03-03-2007 03:52 PM

If i apply a flat clear coat will it all flatten out and blend together?

Sourkraut 03-04-2007 06:52 AM

Being an automotive refinisher, as long as you blended the paint edge properly, the clear when sprayed over the paint will cover everything nicely and also seal the paint.