RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Safely Removing Dried CA from Covering (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5499980-safely-removing-dried-ca-covering.html)

orenda635 03-02-2007 05:47 PM

Safely Removing Dried CA from Covering

I accidentally spilled some CA onto the covering (Ultracote) of a model I was working on. I got most of it up, but some of it had dried. Is there anything that I can use to remove it without damaging the covering under and around it?

alan0899 03-02-2007 06:16 PM

RE: Safely Removing Dried CA from Covering

G'day Mate,
Mix a small amount of acetone, with some toothpaste, & start rubbing gently, the toothpaste is a very fine abrasive, it will remove the CA without damage.
May be best to test the mixture on a part that can't be seen to make sure no damage is done to the covering.

orenda635 03-02-2007 07:34 PM

Acetone. So in other words nail polish remover. I might actually have that on hand.

*JCB* 03-02-2007 07:45 PM

I just used CA de-bonder. it works great after installing CA hinges when you get all the haze around the hinge. It also works well on spills. I haven't noticed any adverse effects to the covering either

TLH101 03-02-2007 08:43 PM

Acetone or nail polish remover will both work.

KidVermin 03-02-2007 09:55 PM

In the future, it's best to resist reflex reaction by not trying to wipe off immediately and smear a larger area. Once the stream or dot has dried, take a sharp curved blade pocket knife and chip the glue off the covering. Make short little chipping actions at the glue and it will pop right off in sections. Don't try with an Exacto #11 blade or you'll end up with several slits in the covering. This works best on the high gloss film where the Ca doesn't have much to stick to unlike the matte finish film.

submikester 03-02-2007 10:18 PM

CA debonder works on nearly anything including epoxy.

orenda635 03-03-2007 10:51 AM

This is what I was worried about. According to Tower Hobbies...

CAUTION: Debonder will attack most types of paints, decals, and
adhesives. Test on a small area first to insure compatibility.
I guess I'll try the debonder.

decay 03-03-2007 08:54 PM

Acetone or debonder will work on iron on coverings, no damage at all.

You can buy a quart of acetone for $5 at the hardware store.

A tiny bottle of debonder is $3 at least, I think there the same thing

At least they work the same. I get the acetone & save $$

Deadeye 03-04-2007 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: submikester

CA debonder works on nearly anything including epoxy.
Nothing desolves epoxy except heat.