RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Twinstar engine options (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5568089-twinstar-engine-options.html)

R/CBOONE72 03-15-2007 10:30 PM

Twinstar engine options

I am gonna buy a 40 sized twinstar arf from tower hobbies. I would like to know what some of you are running for engines.

Rcpilot 03-15-2007 11:23 PM

RE: Twinstar engine options

Go over to the Twin Engine Planes section on RCU and do a search for Twinstar. There's pages and pages of info on this plane.

rrragmanliam 03-16-2007 05:55 AM

Hi 72,

This is prbably not the answer your looking for but multiengine planes are just begging to be "electrified". It's a little "pricey" but counter rotating props, right on the money RPM synchronization and push button startup are all nice features on a multi.

Darren

KW_Counter 03-16-2007 03:11 PM

When I was at Castle AFB last year I watched a couple of very nice twin engines crash due to an engine dying.
The only way I would do a twin with engines on the wing is as an electric.
That Skymaster with front and rear engines on the fuse is sure a handsome plane. Someday.
KW_Counter

Scar 03-16-2007 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: R/CBOONE72

I am gonna buy a 40 sized twinstar arf from tower hobbies. I would like to know what some of you are running for engines.
My Twinstar is a rocket with two Tower .40 (bushing engines). They have 10X7 props. I have had several one-engine-out landings, the plane isn't too bad to land with one dead.

Some folks will run two .25 engines, some go for .50's. I've heard of people running .30 fourstrokes. As fast as mine is, I don't think I'd recommend the .50 twostroke to someone who's asking for advice.

Enjoy,
Dave Olson

on pipe 03-16-2007 08:51 PM

Go with something that runs dead reliable like .25 or .40 LA's. Ross

barnesracing 03-16-2007 09:48 PM

IM running two os 35 fp's and usally fly it about half throttle iv'e had one engine out and did not even know it for a second untill i noticed a sound diff. did not even have to use rudder to land . what a good plane

keith

Kaos1964 03-16-2007 10:20 PM

I put 2 o.s. .25's in mine and it's an absolute hoot to fly...good luck!

Carlos Murphy 03-20-2007 01:22 AM

My first Twinstar had OS 40-FP engines and flew great, for about 5 minuets at a time.

My present one has a pair of Axi 28-20/10 brushless motors with li-po bats and I like it much better.

I also have a OV-10 Bronco with the same volter system in it, it fly's even better.