RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Diagram for a retard. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5586282-diagram-retard.html)

Paul88880000 03-19-2007 06:16 PM

Diagram for a retard.

HI everyone,
could someone help me out please as I am on my first ever RC airplane build (without instructions/drawings),
Over the last few weeks I have gathered together what parts I think I need to make my aeroplane fly.

Now what I really need Is for some kind person to show me what to connect to what.

1' ESC with rx connector, battery connector,motor connector,and an on off switch
2' Three servos
3' 1 futaba switch harness with third charge lead and an on off switch.
4' Motor (I realise this will connect to the ESC motor end)

Ok I'm not a totall retard,with a little guidance and a shove In the right direction I will be fine,Ohh and I'm very good at soldering.

Now for the questions.

1' should I have two batterys onboard the plane(1 for motor[li-po],1 for servos[rx ni-cad battery].
2'What does the ESC on off switch ,switch off ?.
3'What does the futaba switch harness switch ,switch on and off.

I know the servos and ESC connect to the Rx,
but just what the hell do all these switches do ,or do I have to many switches.

Any help Is most appreciated.

Paul (aka retard).

exeter_acres 03-19-2007 07:14 PM

RE: Diagram for a retard.

sorry...but your title and references are rather insensitive

khodges 03-19-2007 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

sorry...but your title and references are rather insensitive
Seems like a person should be able to call themselves whatever they feel like. It might be insulting to the truly retarded, but would they understand?

Wish I could help with your dilemma, Paul, but I'm "electric airplane impaired":D

Tall Paul 03-19-2007 08:37 PM

The manufacturers of the equipment you have should have manuals online.
Or online help.

oceansfiftyseven 03-19-2007 09:45 PM

1. No. Most esc's are B.E.C. equipped. bec stands for battery eliminator circuit. This will provide 5v to power the receiver and servos.
2. Switch turns of the bec power and the esc itself.
3. Futaba switch harness will be unnescessary as the esc already has one.
4. Yes you have too many switches.
5. Solder the esc output leads to the motor. Solder opposite connectors on the battery and the input lead on the esc. Plug the servo style lead on the esc into any unused receiver slot. Turn on transmitter. Verify the throttle is off. Plug the battery into the esc. Turn on the switch connected to the esc. Viola!

rwright142 03-20-2007 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: khodges
Seems like a person should be able to call themselves whatever they feel like. It might be insulting to the truly retarded, but would they understand?
khodges,
It also hurts their family members. I cared for my brother for many many years before he passed away on Sept 10 2001. We have to live with comments like that and I'm sure Paul88880000 did not mean any harm. I understand what he meant. I used the word once to describe my brother when we needed to fly somewhere and the ticket agent said, "you mean your mentally challenged brother". I thought about it and at first thought that was weird because he had always been referred to as retarded... Sometimes my grown kids say it and I understand they too are not being insensitive.

Paul88880000,
what are you building?

Rodney 03-20-2007 09:51 AM

Caution: the switch on the ESC does NOT turn off the ESC, it just inhibits the running of the motor driving the propeller. If you leave the ESC connected to the battery, it will run down the battery even if the switch is off. This will probably damage the battery, it definatelly will if the battery is a LiPo. Your best bet is to visit your local hobby shop and ask for help and/or if there is an active RC club near you, visit with them and ask for some assistance.

Don M. 03-20-2007 09:51 AM

People have made millions writing books for "Dummies" and no one has complained. I myself did not find his title demeaning used in the context that it was.

This is in reply to post #2.

Ed Smith 03-20-2007 10:42 AM

If a person wants to call himself a "Retard" he probably knows best. Why would I argue, or waste my time offering help?

Ed S