RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   CA stains on covering (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/5638094-ca-stains-covering.html)

Tee Bee 03-29-2007 11:04 PM

CA stains on covering

I'm finishing my first RC plane(Kadet Sr.) and when I attached the CA hinges to the rudder/fin, the CA stained my black Ultracote badly. Attempted to remove it by rubbing with a rag soaked w/acetone but that didn't get it all off and now the black covering is blotchy from the acetone and still white-stained in places. Looks permanent. I guess I may just patch over the ugliest places. This is a shame because the plane was looking really nice so far. I'm holding off on hinging the elevator for now. It's transparent orange. Any suggestions for applying the CA without the white fumy stains? Thanks.

perreback 03-30-2007 01:49 AM

RE: CA stains on covering

Yes, CA stains are a pain in the neck. Maybe you could try to protect the Ultracote with some kind of adhesive tape while gluing? You want to make sure the tape will peel off easily afterwards, though. Just a thought --- I'm sure someone else has a much better idea.:) Personally, I just try to ignore the stains. :eek:

Dsegal 03-30-2007 08:21 AM

> now the black covering is blotchy from the acetone <

Get back to work with the acetone. When you first apply it the CA is softened and spreads around. You must constantly change your tissue or Q-tip to always have a clean surface to absorb the CA or it just keeps spreading. Be patient and you will be able to clean it up.

SPLIT S 03-30-2007 08:34 AM

If you are not already using these get yourself a pack of the long thin CA tips for your bottle. I find them in packs of 5 at my LHS - they look like very narrow flexible tubes. I find that they really help me keep the thin CA where I need it to be. You can then lay the tube in the hinge line without having to aim the bottle and hope the drops go where you want them to.

Dan

shd3920 03-30-2007 08:49 AM

Used to happen to me all the time. I always just covered the worst of the CA stains with stars or other such graphics. Then I learned to do it RCKen's way: Hinge the control surfaces FIRST before starting the covering. Then seal in the entire hinge line with covering so you can not see the hinges or gap no more, and it looks much neater in the end. Look at his LT-40 build thread to find out how to do it - complete with pics http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...25/key_/tm.htm

2slow2matter 03-30-2007 08:51 AM

keep wiping and it will come off. Don't use tape, unless you want to permenantly glue the tape to the covering. Any CA spilled on the tape will glue the tape to the covering.
This just occured to me, though, and I've never tried it. Maybe you could be the guinnae pig. Rub vasaline all around the area. That should provide a barrier that could later be easily wiped off with some alcohol or the sort.
But keep wiping with the acetone and it will clean right up. And, use the tips--they help get the CA to the hinge, and only the hinge!

Tee Bee 03-30-2007 09:47 AM

Thanks everyone! I'll work on it some more tonight.

SPLIT S 03-30-2007 10:49 AM

Not to derail the thread here but when I use the CA hinges I always seem to get too "stiff" of a control surface. It's not too bad on something like a rudder but with strip ailerons it's very noticeable. The aileron tends to twist over it's length when applying servo control. Am I doing something wrong here - too much CA or something?? I'm just finishing my GP Extra 300S and I'm tempted to cut the ailerons off and use hinge points instead. Suggestions please...

Dan

jaka 03-30-2007 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!
CA glue is easily removed with nitro!
Just wipe nitro on and after some minutes it could be wiped away.
Aceton also works but much slower.
None om them will do any harm to plastic coverings.

Mode One 03-30-2007 05:52 PM

I accidentally found that CA accelerator seems to remove these stains. The sooner you spray the stuff on after the fume stains develope, the better the clean-up and easier it is to do.

*JCB* 03-30-2007 08:26 PM

i just use CA debonder on a paper towel to remove these stains and it works perfectly!!

SPLIT S: it seems as if you are pushing the control surface in really hard when you are aplying the CA, this is WAY WRONG!! What I have been doing on my recent planes is to use a 1/64" feeler gauge, put that in between the control surface and the wing/elevator/v.stab near the CA hinge, then you can push on the control surface while gluing...move the feeler gauge to each CA hinge as you glue.

Flying freak 03-30-2007 08:49 PM

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
CA glue is easily removed with nitro!
Just wipe nitro on and after some minutes it could be wiped away.
Aceton also works but much slower.
None om them will do any harm to plastic coverings.
nitro? As in our glow fuel nitro or as in pure nitromethan?

ORIGINAL: *JCB*
i just use CA debonder on a paper towel to remove these stains and it works perfectly!!
According to the LHS owner debonder is acetone, If you can get acetone its cheaper for the same stuff... (btw evan the industrial grade stuff used for metal cleanning works without damaging the covering)

Tee Bee 03-30-2007 09:23 PM

Thanks again, everybody. I spent a little more time with the acetone and it looks pretty good now. On to the next learning challenge. Can't wait to fly this thing.

Campy 03-30-2007 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: SPLIT S

Not to derail the thread here but when I use the CA hinges I always seem to get too "stiff" of a control surface. It's not too bad on something like a rudder but with strip ailerons it's very noticeable. The aileron tends to twist over it's length when applying servo control. Am I doing something wrong here - too much CA or something?? I'm just finishing my GP Extra 300S and I'm tempted to cut the ailerons off and use hinge points instead. Suggestions please...

Dan
It is a little late now, but in the future make a mark with a crayon (yes a crayon ) across both sides of the centerline of the hinge. The CA will not go into that area and your hinge will be "softer".

For the ailerons already installed, disconnect the linkage and flex them to the full extent of the travel in both directions. This will help to loosen up any CA in the hinge gap. You will probably need to flex them about 15 - 20 times depending on how much CA is in the hinge gap.

Hope this helps.

Mode One 03-31-2007 05:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Tee Bee

Thanks again, everybody. I spent a little more time with the acetone and it looks pretty good now. On to the next learning challenge. Can't wait to fly this thing.
Don't forget to try the AAC Accelerator! I'm not some noob-knothead, with crazy ideas! Your far more likely to have accelerator around, then acetone.