RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   landing strip woes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/583725-landing-strip-woes.html)

rkrig 02-25-2003 09:31 PM

landing strip woes

Got vermen (skunk, possum, or?) digging golf ball size holes all over our landing strip. I suppose they are digging grubs. They operate under the cover of darkness so simple extermination is not the answer, guess i have to get rid of the grubs. Anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to deal with this again this year, last year i would have to fill 40-50 little holes with dirt befor we could fly and planes seem very good at finding the ones I missed. Randy

ggale 02-25-2003 10:03 PM

landing strip woes

you answered your own question...get rid of the grubs. a good home and garden store would be able to help

MHawker 02-26-2003 05:38 PM

landing strip woes

Three words... Night Vision Scope

cwat212 02-26-2003 06:34 PM

landing strip woes

we have a local club with a landing strip that is in the middle of a cow field.

The cows leave large land mines all over the landing strip. I guess it could always get worse.

DJ Gadget 02-27-2003 07:42 AM

landing strip woes

1 Attachment(s)
We got landing strip problem too, despite the vast exspanse of open desert, we crave for a tarmac runway for the Jets.

There are loads of Jets in Dubai, but the end up ingesting sand during take off. Also the sand plays havoc on wheel pants.

See the pic (i'm the guy on the right) and yes you would think the powerlines in the back ground would interfere, but we have noticed that they only seem to have a severe on those flying on 40MHz, 35 and 72MHz seem to be uneffected.

Cheers

DJ Gadget 02-27-2003 07:48 AM

landing strip woes

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another

DJ Gadget 02-27-2003 07:49 AM

landing strip woes

1 Attachment(s)
Last one..... I promise

DJ Gadget 02-27-2003 07:56 AM

landing strip woes

1 Attachment(s)
I lied....

jettstarblue 02-27-2003 04:22 PM

landing strip woes

DJ, Could you please find it in your heart to send some of your "runway" to N.E. Ohio? We have a similar situation here, but ours is very white, and the planes keep sinking below the surface when we try to land.

Jetts

P.S. My sunglasses work, but When I go out in shorts and a T-shirt, I get very cold.

Small Fry 02-28-2003 12:14 AM

landing strip woes

Jettstarblue, what part of NEO are you from?

jettstarblue 02-28-2003 03:07 AM

landing strip woes

Small Fry,

I'm over here in the Thompson area, 35 mi S.E of Cleveland. I fly my small stuff out of the back 40, and when we are flying bigger ones, (.25 up to full size-ultralights), we go out to my sisters airfield in Rock Creek. We have a 1600'X90' turf field we put in 2 years ago.

Jetts

troyp 02-28-2003 12:09 PM

landing strip woes

Our field is in a cow paddock also so we have to deal with land mines too. We simply drag a sheet of reo-mesh behind my ute, up and down the runway which breaks up the land mines into smaller pieces and drags them to the edges of the runway.

Gadget,
Have you ever looked into a product that is often used on dirt roads to stop them from breaking up. Its a type of salt extract which is sprayed onto a newly graded and rolled dirt road which makes it hard like a bitumen road. Our Shire uses it on some of our dirt roads during the dry season. It helps stop corrugations forming and the road stays harder and firmer for a lot longer. On a rc strip it would last for ages (Well until it rained anyway.) which wouldn't be a problem where you live. An rc club in another town south of us were going to give it a try on their dirt strip.

Regards,

Troy.

troyp 02-28-2003 12:20 PM

landing strip woes

Gadget,

I found a link, its called dustmag.

http://www.rainstorm.com.au/dustmag.htm

Take a look, it would be ideal to stop dust on your strip.

Small Fry 02-28-2003 10:40 PM

landing strip woes

Jettstar, I'm not far from you. I'm about an hour south of cleveland, 20 miles south of Youngstown.

Just looked it up, from New Middletown to Thompson is about 65 miles.

jettstarblue 03-01-2003 01:03 AM

landing strip woes

Small Fry,

Boardman, near Youngstown, I am semi familiar with the area. Where do you guys go to fly? 65 miles is but a crowhop for me as I go down to Rodgers for the auction several times a year from here. Do you have an AMA field, or do you fly from a private field?

I was just outside earlier flying a Great Planes Escapade, (park flyer) I built earlier this year. I couldn't stand not flying for one more minute, and the wind was low enough- about 10 m.p.h., but steady. I climbed it until it was very small, and with the wind up there, it just hovered. I flew until the battery died, and then flat spun-(well sorta) all the way down to 20' agl, and landed on top of the powder. The roll out was 3 inches, yes I measured it.
What are you flying? Feel free to e-mail me anytime.

Jetts

nchrome 03-02-2003 03:17 AM

landing strip woes

We are having kind of the same problem at our field and the only thing that may help you is to take moth balles and drop them in the holes and cover up this will drive the varmonts out of the field and into the taller grass if you stay on top of it and do this every time a hole appears eventually this will give them the idea to move to the tall grass. They should after a while stay off the field and you should not have the problem after a flying season ;) :D